04 February 2019

Blog Marathon - Post 4 - Smile please!

I had an appointment with a gynecologist today and I was very anxious about it. I had a little fear, little apprehension, but it was necessary to see her owing to a problem which I was facing recently. I had called almost 10 doctors in my area for my problem, but they didn't entertain me as they were overbooked and didn't accept any new patients. This doctor gave me the appointment immediately when I told the receptionist that I was a "private" patient. That means I pay upfront or they send me the invoice and I transfer the money online and then claim it in the company for which I am working. I got to know that "private patient" is the key to get an appointment in the near future. I tried and got one. My friend from Buddhist Chanting accompanied me there. It was sunny today, after a long long time. I was happy, I was basking in the sunshine and when I reached her clinic, all the good spirit sunk to the bottom.

Her clinic was very well set up, with my favorite Lavender as a theme. The receptionist wore lavender colored clothes and the walls and curtains were of the same color too. The receptionist was very cold. She didn't smile, didn't welcome me. I got myself registered and told her that I am a private patient and that till now, I was always sent an invoice and I transferred the money online. She flatly refused and said that I will have to pay upfront and no invoice will be sent. I said, ok. I will pay immediately after the visit to the doctor. I waited for about 10 minutes and the doctor called me inside. Again, she was very cold, no smile, no acknowledgment, no sympathetic attitude. I was a little tense as I was visiting a gynecologist for the first time. I was expecting some sympathy from her. She took my details about my married life, my son and asked me the problem. I was very nervous, was trying to explain the problem to her. There was absolutely no expression on her face. Maybe my German was not so clear to her. But she didn't seem to be interested either. She examined me with the usual procedure and then asked me to come back after a few days. She sent a sample to the laboratory she said and will be able to make a diagnosis only after the report is received. She asked me about the payment again. I felt very awkward. It was not as if I was going to run away without paying her. She stressed on the fact again that I need to pay upfront, right now to which I agreed yet again.

I came out and made the payment at the behest of the receptionist. It felt so cold in there, though it was sunny outside. There was a board written there saying that we do not shake hands in the clinic for the safety of the patients, but we gift them a smile. I felt that was like cheating the patients, not following what you preach. No one from the staff there smiled at the patients or at me. Lucia felt the same and exclaimed that she won't ever come back to the clinic if she were the patient. She felt the coldness too. She is a very cheerful and vivacious lady, yet she felt suffocated there.

A smile is the most beautiful gift that you can give to perfect strangers and create joy in their lives. We have no idea what the struggles of the other person are, but a smile can make him/her feel better and one smile can make a big difference. It doesn't cost us a dime, but it lightens up their day. The life here is hard and lonely. So, smile, be happy and make others happy! That's what I am going to follow now. 

1 comment:

  1. First of all I hope the problem you have is not serious and the tests don't show any signs of concern. Coming to the topic of this post, I wonder how would it feel mocking the non-smiling people with a big ear to ear grin lol

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...