22 February 2019

Blog Marathon - Post 21 - Mathematics and life

T is currently obsessed with numbers and Maths in his school. He always asks me what is this plus this. Usually, they are more than 2 digit numbers which he can't handle right now. But he wants to be the best like his dad in Mathematics and calculations. I try to tell him whatever I can calculate without help from a calculator, but as the 0 keeps on adding, I lose track and become disillusioned. Numbers have always left me confused and speechless. I don't understand inches, cm, meters, miles. I can't imagine how small or big is 1 meter or 10 inches when it comes to specifications. Anyways, I have stopped troubling myself over it. It hasn't made much difference in my life. But seeing T's obsession with numbers, I secretly wish he should do great in calculations in his life. That will help him a lot.


We were sitting at the dinner table and as usual, T was calculating something in his mind and he asked me:

T: Aai, how old will I be in 2092?

I: You will be 80 years old.

T: And you?

I: I won't be around by then.

T: Oh, yes, right!

I: Will you feel sad that I won't be around then?

T: Yes, very much!

I: Why?

T: I will have to stay all alone without you.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. He wasn't able to imagine a life without me at this stage and he couldn't imagine the future that at 80, he would probably have his own family and extended family. But he wanted me as a company even when he was 80 as we spend a lot of time together when A is away on business trips.

I: Why would you be alone? You will have your wife and kids and grandchildren probably.

T: I don't want to get married. Can I stay with Manuel?

(Manuel is our German neighbor who is 8 years older to him).

I: No, he will have his own family. You can visit him maybe, but can't stay forever with him.

T: Oh! ok!

The conversation stopped there and we moved to another topic.

Kids are so adorable and innocent. T is used to me always being around him, for him. He needs me for another 15 years I guess. Then he has to make his own decisions and stand by them. I will be there for him always, but the dependency will cease to exist and he will become an independent man.

At his age, he wants his parents forever. Why only kids? At the age of 40, I want my parents to be immortal and be there till I live. But life doesn't always happen as we want it to, isn't it? No matter how many years we live, it is important that we live a happy and content life. The quality and not the length should matter, I believe. Mistakes, good and bad decisions, experiences, people, circumstances shape us and enrich our lives and we should be open to everything that is thrown at us. We should try our best. Only then life becomes meaningful and fulfilled.

1 comment:

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...