13 February 2019

Blog Marathon - Post 11 - The story of the lost winter cap!

I had written in an earlier post about a birthday party which T had attended in a movie theatre with his school friend from Class 2. That day he lost his winter cap in an electronic shop when he had gone there to check out PlayStation with his dad. I had thought he lost it in the theatre. I also went and checked there immediately on that day, but hadn't found it. Then after coming home, A told me that the cap was with him and he kept it in the electronics shop. I decided to go and check on Monday. I was very confident that I would get it. I had listened to stories where people had got their mobile phones after losing them in the bus. This was just an electronic shop.

I went to inquire about the cap in the shop on Monday. The lady at the information counter checked in some drawers on the same floor and came back to tell me that there is no cap which I had told her about. It was a grey cap with NOW written on it. She said she was sorry that the cap couldn't be found. It was T's only and favorite winter cap and we almost fought daily while going to school about the need of wearing the cap. January and February are usually very cold, so he doesn't argue much and wears it without much fuss. I also show him, other children, while going to school who wear caps and then he has no say. Also while coming home, most of the kids wear caps as it is cold and he does that too. But from next month, the fuss will start again as the temperatures will go up now.

T was sad that he lost his cap, but just for that moment, he then quickly moved on and wore a different cap which was a stand-by. He doesn't like it much, but now he had no choice. He didn't lament or cry. He accepted that it's lost and it can't be probably be brought back. I got a very important message from him that day. What's gone is gone, has passed, is past. Don't sit thinking and regretting about it. Don't waste today thinking about yesterday. Look forward and wait for the new things which a new day brings.

How kids become our teachers sometime!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...