02 February 2019

Blog Marathon - Post 2 - Just keep swimming

As some of you must have read in my new year resolutions, the next to-do item in 2019 is to learn swimming. I learned cycling last year and this year I want to learn swimming and driving car in Germany. So to take the first step in learning swimming, I enrolled for a class on Saturdays only. There wasn't any available on weekdays though. So I chose the one which was available as I didn't want to miss the chance this time. I managed to convince one more friend and she also enrolled in the same batch on Saturday. I was happy to have her company. I cannot somehow do things alone unless absolutely necessary. I am a people person and I need company.

On day 1, on 12th Jan, we reached the swimming pool at 11:30 and met up with our teacher, Florian. He asked us why we wanted to learn swimming. What were our expectations of the course? I told him that I want to be able to swim properly and visit beautiful countries like Spain and other places where there is water. My husband and son can swim and I don't want to sit at the beach and just watch them swim. Florian noted down everything and promised us a good time in the water and at learning.

So there were 3 Indian ladies and 1 African boy in the 12 pm batch and in the next batch, it was a Turkish group. We started slowly with a few physical exercises and then took a round in the water to get accustomed to it. Then he showed us some tips to hold the breath underwater and release it under water. He encouraged us to relax and let go of our fears and enjoy the moment. He came across as a very good person and a teacher and motivated us a lot. He told us that it's you who is in charge and not the water. But as adults, we have certain baggage in our heads and we are not able to let go so easily. I was not able to float on the water like a stick, as he was showing. But with practice and confidence, I will be able to achieve it for sure.

Day 4 - Today - We did some leg exercises and tried to kick the water hard. He showed us a few hip exercises too and told us that tomorrow the muscles are going to be sore. We also jumped into the water as the last exercise. Kids jump so easily when told to. They don't have any fears or inhibition and we as adults were hesitant to jump into the non-swimmer area which is hardly any deep. But as time progresses and we become more confident with water and become less self-aware and let go, we will be able to do justice to the course and at least make a start in the art of swimming.

So inspired by my new hobby, 'just keep swimming' is my mantra for 2019.

Swim against all negative feelings or thoughts or comments.

Swim with self-love and self-confidence and self- appreciation in the tide of life.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! Glad you took up swimming and continuing with it.

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...