23 January 2020

A sister's letter to her estranged brother

Dear K,

Yesterday it was your 26th birthday. How time flies! I remember taking you in my arms as a newborn, and my joy knew no bounds that day. I had become Tai, an elder sister, and was ready to take on the full responsibility of this title. Your tiny hands and legs and that toothless smile made my heart sing. You were my brother. I was going to take you under my wings. I was going to tell you stories, dress you up, take you to play. I didn't spare a single moment of seeing you. Though I stayed far away, I came to see you every time I could, sometimes directly from the college for a weekend or sometimes during holidays for a longer time. We loved each other so much. You shared everything with me as you grew up and started going to school. I was present for every special day in your school, be it elocution competition or your annual day. We went to Chowpatty to play in the sand and eat Bhel puri. We also rode on horses there. We went to our favorite restaurants to eat our favorite "butter chicken," sometimes dosa, sometimes to Mcdonalds. We saw so many kids movies together, ate popcorn, and laughed so much together. It was such a lovely time, I tell you!

Then something happened between our parents. You and I didn't know what exactly had happened. We chose not to ask them and sadden them further. We stopped interacting, we stopped seeing each other. We cut all the contacts with each other. I was in shock. I didn't know how to react, how to reach out to you without angering your parents. I got busy with my new married life and moved to a different city with my husband.

I often thought about you. I wanted to be there when you gave the most important exams in your school life. I wanted to cheer you, motivate you when you felt low, or share a few tips with you about not taking pressure during exams. I missed you on all the important festivals about the bond between brother and sister. I also missed you when my son was born, and he completed 6 months. It's generally the mom's brother who gives the first morsel of solid food to the baby.

I don't even know now if you remember the good times we both spent together. Like an elder sister, I tried contacting you on a social media platform, but you refused to talk to me. You told me not to contact you anytime in the future. I respect your decision. I am out of your life and memories, I guess. That's ok. We were destined to spend only that much time together.

I would like you to know that if you feel anytime in the future to connect with me, my heart will always be open. Life is too short to hold any grudges. Time gone can't be brought back, but at least the future can be made beautiful.

Like I have always wished you on all your previous birthdays, I do so today, too, and shall still continue doing it though it never reaches you now in person.

I wish you all the happiness and good health in your life. May you achieve what you aspire for. May your life be filled with tranquility and peace.

Your Tai



4 comments:

  1. Lovely post. N hope your relationship with your brother will soon patch up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely written. I hope the words have the desired effect on K!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written Mrunalini. I sincerely hope with time, circumstances change and you are able to connect with your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. भावापर्यंत बहिणीचे मनोगत लवकरच पोहचो.भाऊबीजेला किमान शाब्दिक देवाणघेवाण, भेट तरी घडो आणि रक्षाबंधनाचे दिवशी समक्ष भेट घडो अशी ईशचरणी प्रार्थना.

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...