02 January 2020

Goodbye 2019

The month of December was very crazy. I didn't realize how the month started and how it ended. It has been very hectic, and I didn't realize how time just flew, and our tenure ended in the first house in Karlsruhe, and it was time to move to a new home and start a new life. Our tenure in Germany got extended, and I looked forward to another exciting phase and a beautiful new year 2020.

A trip to India before packing and shifting stuff to the new house, coupled with the regular chores, left us all exhausted. The excitement to go to India to meet family and friends was overshadowed by the deluge of boxes that lay strewn in all rooms. Over two years, I had accumulated a lot of stuff, consciously, and unconsciously. With no lift for transporting the stuffed boxes from our building to the car, A and I had a tough time carrying them on our own. With every increasing round to the third floor and back with the heavy boxes, the age of 40 was making itself very evident. All our bones were tired to the core, muscles sore and aching. The new house is a 14 storeyed building, and our house is on the 4th floor, which obviously has a lift. Our neighbor from the old house, Mr. Hoffmann, offered to drop all the boxes in his big caravan like tempo, and we couldn't thank him enough for this kind gesture. I was sad to leave the building, the neighbors, the locality, the moms of T's friends who were good friends of mine, but change is inevitable. Promising to keep in touch with each other, with a heavy heart, I flew to India, mentally and physically exhausted.

Whenever I am away from India for a long time, every time I am on a short break, the traffic and chaos amaze me and leave me bungled. When I was a part of this hustle-bustle just till 2 years ago, it all seemed so reasonable. But now it appeared as if I was never here. Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore have grown like crazy. The discipline of people when they are on the road has gone from bad to worse. There seems to be no end to the woes of the common man. Roads are dug all over the place, cars are parked on the areas for pedestrians and what not. The water, air, food is not healthy. Still, people exist and live life as if nothing is wrong. I chose to purposely not look at it seriously because anyways, I was not going to spend a long time here. My apathy towards such basic things can be very well reflected in the indifference of other people in India. Three weeks is really a very short time to even soak into the unplanned chaos around you, and by the time, I thought, I have arrived here getting used to the constant humdrum in the cities, it was time for me to leave.

I met my family members, my in-laws, my grandmother. A meetup with my besties in Bangalore charged me up. So did the evening on the 29th of December with my school friends. It seemed like the time hasn't passed at all. We are our old selves just away for some time and met after a brief break. It was in 1995 when we completed our Class 10th. We all went into different directions, did different stuff, we lost touch, got in touch again. School friends are someone with whom you can be your natural self. They don't judge you or don't pass any remarks about you. You are your best self with your friends who have seen you in your best and worst days. I had a wonderful time catching up with my family and friends, and with these lovely memories, I was charged up to go back to the cold and snowy Germany.

The year 2019 has been relatively good on a personal front. I have changed a lot as a person, for good. I took up some interesting tasks, met some interesting people, and enhanced my skills. I read a lot about nutrition, essential oils, etc. There awaits a new chapter in 2020, and a lot of exciting stuff is going to come my way, and I am very excited about it. The quietness and solitude in Germany have made me a quiet and patient person. I realized that I enjoy my own solitude and company and have molded myself into this way of life. After all, happiness matters, wherever you stay and in whatever you do.

Welcome, 2020. Bring it on. I am ready!



No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...