08 October 2022

Blog Marathon - October 2022 - Day 8 - Respect time

Yesterday, I had my driving lesson at 5:30 pm. The driving school is close-by, and I usually walk there as it is a good way to cover some steps during the day. I reached there at about 5:15 pm yesterday and waited for my teacher. He had back-to-back driving lessons throughout the day, and I am sure there must have been a lot of traffic on a Friday evening. He returned with the previous student at about 5:40 and I started my lesson at 5:45. I lost 15 minutes of my driving time. He was not bothered or apologetic about it. We finished the lesson at 7 p.m. sharp, and I wanted to tell him that it was not a 90-minute lesson today. For whatever reason, we lost 15 minutes today! But the next student was already waiting at the driving school, and I had to leave at 7 pm.

Time is money.

Time is a valuable thing.

Lost time can never be found again.

We all read these wonderful sentences in our lives, but how many of us really follow them in our lives?

How many people give importance to the time they have committed to others? If a friend agrees to meet at 5 pm and you walk in at 4:55 pm but she turns up at 5:15 pm, how do you feel? Do you forget the fact that she didn't keep her word? I am really finicky about time. I don't like people waiting for me. I don't like to keep them waiting either. My grandfather was always early to any appointment that he promised to take up. I grew up seeing him always do things on time. Eat on time, sleep on time. He was very disciplined in his life and I respect such personalities immensely.

When it is a matter of life and death, I can understand being late. But just being lazy and not being able to pull yourselves together to go to an appointment that's already been decided is not acceptable to me. Nowadays, people just send a message on WhatsApp that they will be late. I wonder how people communicated in the early days if they were going to be late. The phone was not easily available. Now people take each other for granted and have lost respect for each other's time. I have seen so many movies promoting the behaviour of heroines who arrive late, and the hero waits for her for hours. And the hero lovingly says that he can wait for her for a lifetime; two hours is nothing. Really? Is this what we intend to teach future generations? To not respect time given and committed to others? Definitely not. Adhering to the timeline and the schedule gives discipline to life, and the tasks can be streamlined and completed within the stipulated time. That reduces stress and gives us enough space to complete the task.

I think the best way you can show respect and concern for the other person is to be on time and not be late. That's also one way of being respectful towards yourself by abiding by what you commit to others.



1 comment:

  1. वेळेच महत्त्व जाणलच पाहिजे.

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...