31 October 2022

Blog Marathon - October 2022 - Day 31 - German driving licence ✅

A project called the German driving license

I had been vying for it for more than a year now, and finally, when it landed in my hands, I felt on top of the world. I feel elated, proud, and independent! What is it that you say has made me so happy today?

It's the license to drive in Germany! It's the much coveted German driving license for which I have spent a lot of time, money, and energy!

I have not celebrated my birthday this year yet. Though it was on October 4th, I refrained from celebrating it around that time. I had promised myself that my birthday gift would be my German driving license, and I have successfully achieved it in this birthday month. Now it's time for a big party, and my parents will be coming in the next week.

The process of getting to this day was not easy.

The first thing that one has to do is do an eye-test, a first aid course, and then go to the local Drivers and Vehicles Licencing Authority (DVLA) office to submit these documents along with a translated copy of their previous driving license. Once these documents are accepted, an invoice is sent to you where you have to pay the fees for the theory and the practical exam well in advance. From the time your documents are accepted by the DLVA agency, you have a time limit of one year to complete the theory and practical driving. Your time starts now :D

The next step is to start preparing for the theory exam. The driving school where you enrol gives you a code to the online app where you can study for it. There are mock tests, explanations, videos, etc. People don't show up for the theory exam unless they practice all 1000 questions and pass every practice test. Out of those 1000 questions, only 30 questions are asked in the exam. I studied for it from January to March this year; gave the exam in March; passed it on the first attempt; and started the driving lessons in April.

I chose a driving school with a one-man show. He was the owner and the instructor himself. He did not discuss with me how he planned to do the driving lessons. On the first day itself, he took me on a highway to see how good or bad I was driving. The reason was that I already had an Indian license and he thought that I was a perfect driver. We all know how we drive in India. Rules and traffic signals are followed on one's whim and fancy. But here it is altogether a different ball game. People drive here with a sense of responsibility towards others and the environment. It's very systematic and within the rules and regulations.

The driving instructor was inflexible and hardly smiled or talked. For the first two or three lessons, he kept on shouting at me, and I couldn't understand what I did wrong. I slowly started ignoring his cold nature and concentrated only on the end goal, which was to get a driving license. I blocked all his tantrums and coldness toward me and kept the driving license as the only target in front of me. I could hardly do three lessons of 90 minutes with him as he was extremely busy and proudly boasted of working 60 hours a week. But he had no empathy or understanding of how to deal with people. Maybe he dealt differently with youngsters who were his regular students. But for me, it was not easy to face him and do the driving lessons. But thanks to my resolve in concentrating only on the final product, I was finally able to have the license in my hands.

I watched a lot of Youtube videos of different driving instructors in Germany, and that helped me a lot to understand things that my driving instructor never told me. Parking, watching the traffic, predicting what other drivers will do, and doing other similar things are all good signs that you are becoming a better driver, and the videos talked about these finer points.

God bless the driving examiner who came to examine my driving skills. I have never seen a person like him. He was very warm, friendly, and very helpful. He gave me chances to make corrections and, in the end, told me that the exam was not perfect but good enough to hand over the license to you. He discussed the improvement areas with me and asked me to be a responsible and vigilant driver on the road. I can't thank him enough for bringing a ray of hope and happiness into my life, which was otherwise marred by the cold attitude of my driving instructor.

Nevertheless, all's well that ends well. I am elated today and won't be able to sleep tonight. I would like to thank everyone who helped me achieve this; my family and friends, especially my husband, who was confident that I would get the license soon. He stayed at home when I had driving lessons at odd hours and took care of our son and the home. I also thank my instructor. He taught me to drive and brought me to this point, though my driving style was not very great. I would never want an instructor like him ever again in my life.

I hope to be an inspiration to other female friends in Germany. Nothing is impossible. If you set your mind and heart to it, you can achieve anything. Managing a job, house, and kid and doing this side-by-side was not short of hiccups, but was also not unattainable. Being able to drive gives you a sense of independence and a lot of mobility. It gives you a sense of achievement and fulfillment.

If you have any questions about the driving license in Germany, I would be able to help you with it. I've completed a thesis on it by now. ;)



1 comment:

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...