10 October 2022

Blog Marathon - October 2022 - Day 10 - I came upon a lighthouse (Book Review)

It was a quiet Sunday in a literal sense. There was no school, no office, no cleaning to be done. I decided to spend some time away from the screen and picked up a book to read. I had actually started it a couple of weeks ago, but as always, something else came up and that book was forgotten. I read the book in one go, and oh boy, the book moved me profoundly. It brought me to tears on some occasions. And I love books that help that sensitive part of me, which I have buried down somewhere, resurface now and then.

I came upon a lighthouse, written by Mr. Shantanu Naidu, that gives us glimpses into the lives of the great Ratan Tata. We have all seen him as a stoic yet sensitive businessman who loves his country a lot and would go to any lengths to help the country in a crisis. The association of the author with him started with a project that was too close to his and Mr. Tata's hearts; stray dogs getting killed by speeding vehicles. The author was appreciated for his sensitivity towards the canines, and Mr. Tata came onboard as a funder. After that, the presence and influence of Mr. Tata grew by leaps and bounds in the author's life, and the reader can very well sense his admiration, love, and respect for Mr. Tata. There's almost an age gap of around 55 years between them, but their camaraderie is so heartwarming. Mr. Tata was his friend, mentor, guide, and employer at the same time, and the author has been brave enough to admit that he had his own struggles and learning curves till he got into the core of the business and the day-to-day activities. Mr. Tata works non-stop till this age, and he always wants people around him well equipped with information and ideas to save time. The mischievous and funny side of Mr. Tata will definitely bring a smile on the reader's face and will once again instill belief in this great icon as to why he is so great. His down-to-earth attitude will warm your hearts and his hard master role will leave you flabbergasted.

The book is written in a simple and lucid style, and I often burst into laughter while reading. I was misty-eyed when the canine chapter made an entry. The book is beautifully illustrated by Sanjana Desai and she has done a terrific job in giving the characters a shape and form in this book!

I particularly loved these lines in the book.

Lighthouses get shrouded too. Sometimes there's fog, sometimes mist, sometimes a storm. But the beacon is always lit. It's always there.

It so sums up the unassuming personality of Mr. Tata. He doesn't even have an idea of how many lives he has touched and changed. But he is always standing tall, standing proud of his country and always thinking of how to serve the nation and help his countrymen!

I so very wish that everyone got a mentor and a friend like Mr. Tata in their lives, who just by being there and not judging, makes the journey easy and beautiful. 

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book, and I wish Mr. Shantanu many more interesting projects and the lovely company of Mr. Tata.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...