24 October 2022

Blog Marathon - October 2022 - Day 24 - Happy Diwali

It often gets lonely here in Germany when, back in India, everyone is enjoying the feasts and festivals. It's Diwali today, and it is a normal working and school day for us. We have a small Maharashtrian community here, and we will celebrate the Diwali festival next week together. But the fun, frolic, camederie, and festive vibes are all missing for today, at least, when it is the actual festival day. I remember my childhood days in Dombivli, where my grandmother made every snack item at home, and I often helped her. Visiting the temple, wearing new clothes, especially stitched for Diwali, and meeting and inviting friends and families to have the Diwali faral (snacks) was the typical routine at that time. Bursting crackers with my other three besties, Deepali, Vishal, and Rohit, was a ritual. Eating together, tasting snacks made at each other's houses, and exchanging them was also a regular. All that doesn't happen here. No one invites us home during festivals, and I don't do it either, owing to a lack of space for entertaining a bigger crowd. All of the fun I had as a child and in Bangalore appears to be a different reality and world. I miss those close social ties with my friends and I miss my family the most during festivals.

I don't want to sound gloomy and sad on such an important day. I know that this feeling of loneliness is temporary and that it will go away soon. Moreover, we must find ways to keep ourselves happy here, now that we have chosen to be away from home, isn't it?

In the morning, I did the oil massage for the Dabke boys, lit lamps at home, and prayed to God for happiness, prosperity, and longevity for all my family and friends. My son was hesitant to get the ritual done, but I kind of forced him to do it, and he didn't resist much later.

In the evening, we, as a family of three, will do the Laxmi Pujan, wear nice clothes, click photos for making memories and talk to our folks in India on a video call while relishing the Diwali Faral that has come from India. We couldn't find any crackers this year, so we won't be able to burst them this year.

Let me know how you celebrated today! What all was done? What snacks were made and eaten? Did you make Rangoli outside the house? Did you decorate it with flowers?

I wish all my readers, friends, and family a very happy Diwali.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...