21 October 2022

Blog Marathon - October 2022 - Day 21 - Get moving, get fit

Yesterday was a busy day. I had a whole day of training from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with breaks in between. Usually I do my walking after work at around 4 pm, but yesterday it was not possible. It was also rainy, and I had to cook dinner after the training to be ready in time for the Hindi class at 7 pm. I have taken part in a challenge on Fitbit with my friends where the person who walks the most steps in a week wins. It is a great tool to get motivated and do your daily routine of some walking and kicking some steps towards your goal. Yesterday, I had hardly walked 1000 steps and I felt very bad about it. Sitting is the new smoking, they say! All my other friends were done with their parts of the walk, and I didn't want to be the spoilsport. I decided to make time and squeezed in a walking workout of 30 minutes before having dinner and heading for the Hindi class. I felt extremely happy after the workout. As we all know, after a workout, the brain releases a hormone called endorphines that reduces the perception of pain, and we are more likely to feel positive after a workout. The body also makes chemicals like serotonin and dopamine that make you feel good. These chemicals can stay in your brain for a couple of hours after you exercise. I was in a good mood after working out . It added to my step goal, and I was able to close in at 5000 steps yesterday, which was just half of the daily target. But I tried and did whatever I could to get closer to the goal.

My grandmothers were as fit as fiddles till they breathed their last. They were physically and mentally active for the most part of their lives. My paternal grandmother did not have any problems with diabetes, blood pressure, or heart problems. She ate just once a day and slept for four hours, but she did all the chores at home without being tired. My maternal grandmother had diabetes and heart problems, but she regularly did her exercise routine and was able to solve the daily crossword puzzle in the Marathi newspaper till the last few days. My husband's grandmother was equally fit till the end. My mother is a traveler, and my mother-in-law always keeps herself busy with many things. Taking inspiration from these five great women in my life, I sincerely do my work-outs. I don't have to slog physically like they did. I have a dishwasher, a washing machine, and a vacuum cleaner at my disposal. So the only way to keep moving is to do a physical sport for our generation.

 Lifestyle diseases like diabetes, hypertension, etc. are on the rise in the world and we need to take care of our food habits too. Exercising regularly could help combat obesity and other lifestyle diseases. Women, especially over 40, start losing their bone density, and in order to keep the bones strong, it is recommended to do weight training at least three to four times a week. It's not rocket science or it won't bulk women like men. Weight training has numerous advantages. Please read this article to understand the benefits of lifting weights.

14 Benefits of Strength Training

Lifting weights increases lean mass, improves cardiovascular health and has a good effect on the calories that are burned during the day. I lift weights (3 kg dumbbells in each hand) thrice a week and want to gradually go to 5 kg and then more. Getting leaner and stronger is my goal. Weight loss is not as important to me as fat loss is. Exercising also helps in getting a good night's sleep, and when you sleep well, the body is able to detox well.

I have collated a list of workout videos for people who might want to start their journey. It has a mix of aerobic (walking workout videos) and strength training (lifting weights) videos. Do try them out. It will definitely boost your mood, improve your health and sleep, and you will also be able to age gracefully. 

Indoor workout playlist

It's not important how long you live; it's more important how fit you live!

Do get in touch with me if you need motivation or guidance to start exercising. It's never too late. Start today. Start now.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...