30 October 2019

Blog Marathon - Post 30 - Tingly

I have always loved soft toys.

I don't really remember when I began to collect them. But the first soft toy that I remember buying was a chubby doll that I had purchased from a store in Mumbai called Akbarallys. It was a departmental store where one could get everything under one roof ranging from food items to clothes. That was a new concept in India in the early '90s, and it was the most sought after departmental store in South Mumbai.  Then I went to Germany in 2002 and bought a stork from Strassburg, France, when we students had gone there on a trip. And then the collection began to grow by leaps and bounds. I had almost every animal in my collection.

As T grew up and began to understand things, he also took an interest in collecting soft toys. We had to give away almost all the animals in Bangalore as it was not possible to carry all of them to Germany. But we carried a few of our favorites like the horse (got it made from T's teacher in the Kindergarten in Stuttgart) honey bee (again from our stint in Stuttgart), pig, owl, and reindeer to Germany. T got a tiger (he named him Simba) as a birthday gift in Mcdonalds in April this year. His uncle sent him a dog from Japan.



The latest addition to the family is a dinosaur and a big teddy bear whom T has named Tingly.


Last week T had gone shopping with his dad to a toy store. There are often lots of offers going on in that toy store. If a purchase of 100 Euros was made, a big teddy bear worth 20 Euros was given away for free. T couldn't resist himself from having one. They had shopped different things, and that amounted to 100 Euros quickly. At the counter, he demanded the teddy bear and was given promptly. He carried him home with love and pride. From that day, he has been looking after Tingly like a big brother. He sleeps with him in his bed, shares the bed cover with him. When he is in the hall watching Television, he brings him out and sits with him. He was asking me today if Tingly can have a toothbrush. I was so amused. He doesn't really show his emotional side to us. But with Tingly, he is the Big B and looks after him, talks to him. I see a new facet of his in these few days. I am glad that he takes care of his favorite thing and also happy to know that he shares my love of collecting soft toys.

Let's see what gets added to our collection in the coming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...