19 October 2019

Blog Marathon - Post 19 - RIP

We all know that death is an impending thing. It will definitely come someday or the other in some form. Everybody who has taken birth will have to die. The only thing we don't know is when the time comes to leave our loved ones and start a journey to another world. Why am I suddenly talking about death and all? Is it the rainy and grey season that has got into me? No, actually, one of the persons staying in my building on the ground floor died on Sunday, and I came to know about it only yesterday from a German friend who had come home in the evening.

She had brought a greeting card in which all the families of the neighborhood had signed. That was a card for condolences, and usually, people here take a card and flowers to the family members. He left his wife behind, who was married to him for almost 50 years. He worked in Bosch and moved to Karlsruhe a few years ago. They were always together and were always smiling at people. He had come to the 3rd floor to help me out when T and I had got locked out of the flat. He had brought his instruments, and with great difficulty, he had helped us out. They were a very kind-hearted couple who often received couriers on my behalf. I stay on the 3rd floor, and when the courier agents don't want to come up, they leave the courier with her. She being such a kind soul, takes the courier every single time. And every time I ring her bell for collecting it, I feel bad to trouble her. But she is always smiling and always ready to help.

My heart sank when I heard the news. I knew Mr. G was very old and ill and he walked with great difficulty. But still losing a person creates a void in life that can't be filled. His wife must have prepared herself for this. One of the partners has to go first, and here they often make the preparations beforehand. They have to book a place for the burial and also arrange for the tombstone. I have seen many shops near the cemetery which sell beautiful tombstones. Death is peace, and to make it more attractive, tombstones of different shapes and colors are used, I think. Staying in the same building, I came to know about his demise after almost 5 days. There was no commotion, no noise, no crowd, no wailing, and crying. I passed that house on all the days I got out of the building, but not once did I sense that the person is no more.

Life has to go on, and I pray that Mrs. G gets the strength to carry on alone and that she remains in good health so that she can take care of herself, and I also pray that Mr. G rests in peace.


1 comment:

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...