03 February 2023

Blog Marathon - February 2023 - Day 3 - Man proposes, god disposes (Part 2)

Read the first part of this write-up series here.

Man proposes, God disposes (Part 1)

My father lay on the floor for 5 hours because the ambulance came at 7:30 a.m. I was trying to call for an ambulance since 3 a.m. But because there was another emergency somewhere nearby, I was constantly told that an ambulance would arrive once that patient was taken care of. We were all aware of the fact that just because my dad wasn't howling or shouting in pain didn't mean that he wasn't in pain. He was definitely looking pale, and he was brave enough to bear that pain, which I can't imagine having to bear. We gave him some water to drink, and he could sleep a bit. The time was running as if on pause, and finally, at 7:30, I got a call from the ambulance services. A team of three doctors and two attendants came home with all the equipment and medicines. They took his blood pressure, which was obviously high because his body was in shock from the hip injury, and he also had a slight fever.They also put an oxygen mask on his face because he was having a little difficulty breathing. After taking the vitals and entering the values on a sheet of paper, they lifted him and took him to the ambulance, which was waiting downstairs.

Upon asking where we should follow the ambulance, we were in for a shock. We weren't supposed to accompany him because it was still Corona time, and they said they'd notify us of the hospital where he'd be taken.They had to first check to see if a bed would be available and where he could be admitted. The main doctor told me to call a hospital after 11 a.m and gave the address. By that time, the tests and everything else would have been done. I told my dad that he would have to go alone and that we couldn't come along with him. He was half asleep, half nauseated. I don't know if he really understood. They took him off in the ambulance, and with bated breath, we all waited for 11 o'clock, when we could get a clear picture of what exactly happened to his hip.

It took longer than expected, and at about 2 p.m., I could reach someone at the emergency room of the hospital where he was admitted. They asked us to come immediately with his clothes and other stuff that he might need. We immediately rushed to the hospital. The attending doctor told us that there is a hip fracture and that he must be operated on and will have to stay in the hospital for about 10 days. I felt so sad for him and for my mother. This was very unexpected, and no one saw it coming. We had no choice but to accept the fact that there had been a mishap and that we needed to overcome this situation together.

The attending doctor informed me that he would be taken to a room and then operated on later that evening. I accompanied him to the room, which was quite big and spacious. I arranged his stuff and sat with him for some time. Later, the doctors came to visit, asked us to fill out all the required forms for the operation, and then asked us to leave. He would be operated on later, at 5 p.m., and then someone from the hospital who would be working the evening shift would inform us about how the operation went. I told my dad that we would have to leave and couldn't stay with him for long outside the visiting hours. He couldn't do anything else but say OK. Thankfully, the attending nurses and doctors, who were all young, could speak English, and my dad had the option to talk to them if the need arose as he is well versed in the English language.

I was sad to leave him alone in the hospital, which was a completely new environment for him, but we had no choice. Wishing him well, we left for home, and we all waited for the evening when he would get operated on and be relieved of the pain and discomfort.

To be continued...



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...