16 July 2015

Blog Marathon Post 9 - Wanderlust

My writing buddy John is off to Turkey next week, all alone for a trip. And I am very excited about it. He usually sets off alone like this to unknown places with no agenda and I am sure he has a blast with it. When I talked to him the other day about it, he said, he does not get company of like-minded people and so he sets off alone. That requires a lot of guts I must say. Going to an unknown country and not knowing the language of that country and exploring that country requires a lot of mental preparation and confidence to move around with ease. English may not be easily spoken in that country, so he may have to even rely on sign languages. What fun!!


  
I want to go like this to some place alone, on a spur, without planning anything. I want to spend time with myself, with no mobile connectivity. Just nature and me and the silence would make a great company isn't it? I am not sure if I can confidently go out to unknown places in India; there is always a fear of safety and hygiene. I have really not ventured out in India on my own to really see and experience that. But I do not have the courage to do that either. When I go to Germany perhaps, I can go out on my own all alone and see new places and meet new people.

Europe, especially Germany is extremely good country when it comes to women safety. There are stricter laws and punishment there. I saw so many ladies traveling alone at night without any fear. There are so many forests and spots in Germany and in Europe where one can easily go and spend time. Almost all places are well connected with trains and buses. There are also wonderful cycling tracks all around Germany where one could just go cycling. It is a treat for people who really love to move on foot or on cycle on in cars and public transport. And Germans plan well in advance. They already know in January where they are going in August or December of that particular year. We Indians can never do that. We decide everything in a jiffy and at our own convenience. Both the qualities have their own pros and cons.

I told John if at all there comes a time that we both are stationed in Europe by any chance at any time, we both should plan a trip together. We are very different from each other, but I have a feeling that we can be travel buddies besides being writing buddies, what say John?



No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...