21 July 2015

Blog Marathon Post 13 - Beti - dhan ki peti

I am very happy today for 2 things.

I lost another kg today and that proved that patience and sincerity and regularity in exercising pay off really well, though slow in my case, but it surely does. So now my next immediate goal is to reduce 2 kgs further and then take my parents and T to Cafe Coffee Day to have my favorite Cafe Frappe and brownie with hot chocolate sauce. I have promised myself to let myself indulge in something I really like on that particular day. That will be a self-gift and it will lift my spirits to go on to the next schedule of the weight loss journey. It will definitely boost my morale.



Second thing which is important than my weight loss and has made me happy is the news that my close school friend has adopted a 6.5 months old baby girl and she has finally arrived at their home, in their lives and in our hearts. She showed us a pic of the baby girl and we couldn't say or do anything else than showering blessings and love onto her. We felt extremely proud of our friend to have taken such a noble step. I knew it must have not been easy. She and her family must have gone through various phases, thoughts, states of mind before finally arriving at some decision like this. I am equally proud of her husband who supported her in this decision and brought the little girl home to give her his name and love and his entire life. It requires a lot of guts for a man to do that, I think.

A girl child is most neglected in a country like India. She brings with herself the burden of dowry and has to bear a male child in order to prove that she is a 'woman'. No one really bothers to know that the father is responsible for determining the gender of the child and not woman. The scene has changed in the cities, but in villages, marrying off the daughter to anyone and getting rid of her is very rampant. In cities, the women are more assertive and they have more choices and also more independence. Women are stepping into every profession. They are proving that only kitchen, cooking and bearing children is not what they are capable of. They are also capable of managing the office work and the house. It is often said that boys remain yours till they get married, but daughters are yours till the end of your life! How true is that! Today girls even perform the last rites of their parents and light their pyre. They take care of the parents and also the in-laws till the end. She is a mother, a protector, a child at heart, a care-taker and what not. She is indeed a peti (box in literal sense) of virtues.

Dear S, my friend, I am proud of you. You have proved that you have a heart of gold and your beti is very lucky to have got a mother like you. I wish you, your family and your beti a wonderful time together and wish you all luck, happiness and health.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...