18 July 2015

Blog Marathon Post 10 - Greensole

I had written about 2 young men and their novel ideas in one of my earlier post. These young lads are trying to solve the problem in their own way. They are doing their bit for the environment and the needy people. They do not have lot of wealth or a rich dad, but the yearning to do something which will help the people around helps them move ahead. I am talking here about the company called Greensole who collects discarded shoes, recycles them and gives them to the needy people on streets who cannot afford to wear footwear.


I happened to read about it on Facebook and immediately got hooked to it. I offered to help its founder, Mr. Shriyansh Bhandari to collect old shoes in my locality. It would take some time till it really shapes up. It involves a lot of cost to take the shoes back to Mumbai and recycle them. He is still organizing for funds for it. You can check out the website and his noble work here. http://greensole.in/ He has even got noticed by Mr. Ratan Tata and he has shown interest in his project. He is trying to involve more and more corporate companies in this so that he can reach out to many more people.

One can also donate shoes through the company to the needy people. It costs mere Rs. 149/- per pair. We don't even get 2 kgs vegetables in that amount nowadays. But that amount can bring smile to someone's face and help them to walk and work. I donated Rs. 1500/- in remembrance of my grandfather to Greensole and that would give shoes to 10 needy people. My grandfather came from a very poor family and he went barefoot to school and walked a lot for that. He rose to a very respectable position later in life but he never forgot those initial days and he used only one footwear for the entire year, never spent on fancy footwear. Keeping this in mind, I thought it would be a very good idea to donate pair of shoes in his remembrance. I was also told me that I would be informed about the beneficiaries. They would go out this weekend and hand over the shoes to people on streets in Mumbai.

In a small way, I am contributing to reduce the suffering of the marginalized section, are you doing your bit too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...