10 July 2015

Blog Marathon Post 3 - No gain without pain

I came back to India with lots of ideas and a list of to do things. I was not sure if I could even start one of those things. But with the strong support of my parents, especially my dad, I am extremely dedicated and focused on my health now. Not that I did not get the opportunity earlier, but it said that the right time has to come to do or start with something. And this was my time.


On Tanay's 3rd birthday in April this year, it dawned upon me that I have been out of activity (working out, walking, and running, doing Yoga) since past 4 years now. The year when Tanay was about to come and then 3 years after his arrival were all spent in running here and there and making excuses about not having time to exercise. When I looked around I saw many mothers with toddlers and new born who were in perfect shape. They did not waste a single moment in relaxing after the child-birth. They immediately took to fitness and got into shape. I felt ashamed. I had not really put any efforts to even try working out or going to the gym. I got to know about a group of enthusiastic ladies on FB, who were crazy for fitness. Losing weight was not the primary goal, it would happen naturally, once you get fit was their mantra. And there were no quick-fixes. They had these monthly challenges where ladies spread all over the globe participated in it, motivated and encouraged each other. I immediately got hooked to it and participated in the Walk Challenge in the month of May.

I started walking on the videos provided by the Admin of the group. They were simple videos which one could easily do from the bounds of home. Leslie Sansone is the founder of www.walkathome.com and she has inspired thousands of people to lose their weight. I read the success stories on her website and thought; I am not that obese when compared to the stories here. I can easily work on my health and fitness if I really want to. Not to look good for others, but to feel good myself. I was very happy everyday while doing the walking videos and that triggered the feel-good hormones and changed my complete outlook towards life. Nothing really bothered me now. I had found an aim in my life, which will keep me going till the end of my life. I won the Walk challenge with a huge margin. I walked 176 kms in the month of May. I hadn't really done something like this. I felt strong, energetic and happy. Weight loss happened too along with diet control. Till date I have lost 6 kgs and still going strong. I have a bigger target and I am sure the universe will conspire to help me fulfill that target. I have tried to inspire a few other friends in my neighborhood and we are regularly in touch asking about each other's progress and we motivate each other also reprimand each other if we get lazy.

Special thanks to my dad, who single-handedly manages my house and Tanay, while I work in office and workout at home. He has told me to concentrate on things which will make me fit and give me happiness. Tanay also by now knows Leslie and sits with me every day when I do the workout. If a person like me who hadn't lost a gm in past 4 years can lose 6 kgs, I tell you people, you can do much more. Be regular in whatever you do. Promise yourself that you are going to be fit and strong for your and your family's well-being. Remember, you can't just say that I am not able to reduce weight by eating less. That will never help. You have to eat right and in small portions and there is no way out from working out. Minimum of 20 minutes for 5 days in the week is a must to see excellent results.

Enough of my gyaan, isn't it people? But I wanted to share with you the wonderful effects that a simple exercise can have in your life. It gives you discipline; it gives you something to look forward to. You can really see no result unless you do it consistently. 

No gain (health, fitness, weight loss) without pain (working out, walking, gym, yoga)

;)


1 comment:

  1. Wow... I didn't know you did a walk challenge and lost 6 kilos in between. Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...