13 December 2015

Blog Marathon Post 9 - A creative weekend

Shreya, my sister who just joined my company and shifted to Bangalore is a Libran as well. She is actually a cusp, but Libra rules her behavior and thoughts to a very large extent. We both love music, movies, reading, writing. So when two Librans meet over the weekend, you all can imagine, how creative the weekend would have got.


 
We watched the movie "Tamasha" on Saturday morning and got back home with the story and music still ringing in our ears. So with music as your accomplice, we went through different forms of art on YouTube, which can be done at home and which is not a great hassle.

We decided to do an art form called Decoupage. It means the art or craft of decorating objects with paper cut-outs. Read more about it on Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoupage. We bought a plain white glass jar, glue, brush, turpentine and cut some glossy cut-outs from the magazine. We first applied glue on the jar and then pasted the different images and cut-outs from the magazine. We let them dry and then applied a coat of turpentine on it. It started looking glossy and we applied 2-3 coats of it and let it dry for sometime. The end product was not very perfect, but we both were novice and we tried as per our knowledge and understanding. We decided to do it regularly and gain more expertise. Glass jars, bottles, wooden boxes, round biscuit boxes can also be made more beautiful with this art.



Then we tried our hands at making greeting cards with help of different color pens and materials like sand, buttons, and stickers. It turned out to be good. I anyways give hand-made greeting cards to my near and dear ones. It makes me very happy and the recipient is happy as well. So it is a win-win situation for both the parties. Engaging ourselves in doing something creative is also very relaxing and therapeutic. It releases stress and gives you a new sense of direction and purpose.

And at night, I tried hands at coloring. Nowadays there is a new trend of adult coloring books. Check them out here on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Books-Coloring-Grown-Ups/zgbs/books/11357541011. These books have intricate designs and doodles and one can spend hours relaxing and coloring them as per their interest. I got a few pages printed and tried one of them. Rather than buying a book and not touching it at all, I thought of first experimenting with single designs and then go ahead with a book if I like doing them. I felt so good while coloring that single page that it took me back to school days. I didn't like drawing then, but always like coloring and painting. Many a times, I used to color the books of my kid cousin brother when I was in college. The suddenly all the fun stopped and a few weeks back, I got re-introduced to coloring again.


  
So all in all it was a weekend well spent and we decided to get together on many weekends like these to try our hands at different forms of art.

Amen!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...