14 December 2015

Blog Marathon Post 10 - The dialogue



A: I am so happy today. It is as good as my last working day in office today. I will working from home from now on.

A’s mom: You are behaving like a small kid who doesn’t want to go to school every day.

A: Yes, am feeling exactly that way. No tension of getting up at 5:45 am every day, going to office in the maddening traffic by either driving or hiring a cab. No more tension of clocking in 9.25 hrs. in the office and no tension of coming back in time to spend time with my kiddo.



A’s mom: What will you do of the nice dresses and purses and the accessories if you will sit at home? You will lose all the contact with the outside world and you will be reduced to just a woman who is busy running around her kid, kitchen and also submit work on time. That is double efforts.

A: No mom, I will take care that I do not get lost in the daily routine. I will take care of my health and my family’s health. I have realized that unless I am sound and healthy and happy, my home will not be. So the main focus will be on exercising, good eating and sleeping habits. I will also get to spend more time with my son. Have not been really able to do that since his birth as I was always working. I will also be able to pursue my hobbies, like going to singing class, writing regularly on my blog 

A’s mom: Let’s see what all you are able to do single-handedly.

A: Why single-handedly? I will also seek help from B. He is a sweetheart. I am sure he will help me in managing my time and home.

A’s mom: You think so? In India is it possible? He will spend 12-14 hours outside in office. When will he come home, help you with the daily chores, spend time with you and your son?

A: It is all a part and parcel of urban life, mom. Every working couple goes through this and I am lucky that I will be able to spend more time at home, do what I really like (my office work) and also earn a decent salary.  Many women want to work, but all they get to do is to take care of their home and kids. They have lot of ambitions and a need to prove themselves beyond the four walls. But due to circumstances, they are not able to work. But I consider myself lucky as I have the opportunity to not stop working and concentrate on my family also. Not everybody has this chance, mom. And once my son grows up and if I feel like, I may get back to office. Who knows?

A’s mom: Haha, I know how enthusiastic you are to go to office now. I don’t think you will change your mind 10 years from now.

A: I may. Many ladies have to stay long in office. Then maids and daycares come into the picture to take care of their kids. Nuclear families are evident in cities. So no grandparents to take care of the kids. Then she dons the garb of a super-woman: Braving the Bangalore morning cold weather and getting up on time without snoozing the alarm for 5 minutes, getting kids ready for school, managing their snacks and meals in school and daycare and then rushing to office, driving in the chaotic traffic of Bangalore, meeting deadlines, attending meetings, delegating work, getting back home on time to pick up kids from daycare, giving them good nutrition, making kids sit and do their homework, sending them to play and then managing dinner and crashing on the bed with little or no time for herself.  I have tremendous respect for such ladies, but now that my office encourages working from home, I will spare a lot of trouble and save time, energy and be content.

A’s mom: I hope you are happy about the decision of being a stay at home cum working mom.

A:  Yes mom, I am. I have no regrets. It might be tough in the beginning, but will be comfortable and confident with time.

A’s mom: Yes, am sure too. Our best wishes and blessings are always with you!

A: Yes, thanks mom. I need them! Ok, now taking sonny out to play. Will dress him up. See you in some time.

A’s mom: Yes, I will also get ready to go for my walk and meet my friends.

So no prizes for guessing who the A here is ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...