15 December 2015

Blog Marathon Post 11 - Living in the present



I came back to India in March this year after spending two years on deputation in Germany. As I had to go to office daily, I had to admit my son to a daycare there. He spent around 20 months there. Initially it was difficult for him as he didn’t know the language and the people who took care of him. He cried daily for 3 months till he got adjusted there and then there was no looking back. He enjoyed the stay there, loved the food which was given there and he got very close to his care-takers. He also learnt to speak German fluently and with a great accent. He learnt to eat on his own, do things on his own. He participated in all the group events and was never ready to come back home when I went to pick him in the daycare.




As we came back to India, I had thought that it would be very tough for him to adjust here. Again he has to learn a new language, inculcate new eating habits and he will surely miss his German friends and the daycare. But he quickly adapted to the weather and the routine and his new day care. He cried there too, but then he started liking it there and he picked up Kannada, Hindi and English. He is very helpful and caring is what his teachers and care-takers tell me. I smile to myself and tell them to come home and see his helpful and caring nature. Haha. Kids are so their natural self at home, they tend to be stubborn and naughty only in the company of family members. 

We had gone to Germany in the month of September to visit his dad and I was so very eager to take him to the daycare where he spent prime 20 months of his life. To my dismay, he didn’t feel quite excited about it. He didn’t speak a single word or say hello to his favorite care-takers. Maybe he didn’t feel there at home, which was right. He had forgotten the language as he didn’t listen others speak it. The environment of the daycare and the faces of his caretakers were now a past for him and his present was somewhere in Bangalore. So I think he did not react to something he was so close to.

We were there just for 15 minutes but in those 15 minutes, even I felt distant and away from that place as it was not a daily affair now. I was sad for a moment, but the next moment I marvelled at the switch-off behaviour of kids. They readily and easily do they hop and skip in the present and are least aware of their past and no botheration of if they have to go to school tomorrow. That happens because the brain is still developing and has not learnt to gather memories and store them, I think. Because of this kids are able to adapt anywhere till a certain age and they are happy with the “now”. They are not bothered about what is bygone and they are also not worried about how will be the future like. Isn’t this a great quality of kids? They are so happy and drowned in their own selves that nothing else matters than enjoying the present moment to the fullest.

I wish we adults also could carry ahead this quality when we “grow” up and kill the child in us! That of just living in the present and not be stuck in the past and constantly worry about the future. Is the child in you still there? Awaken him and see the magic. You will start leading a far better and fulfilling life. Trust me!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...