10 December 2015

Blog Marathon Post 6 - The addiction




Addiction can be of many types.


Merriam Webster dictionary defines it as

: a strong and harmful need to regularly have something (such as a drug) or do something (such as gamble)

: an unusually great interest in something or a need to do or have something

Read on to know about one such addiction in my life.


I got introduced to Tupperware in the year 2006 when I shifted to an area called New Tippasandra in East Bangalore and a dealer had her warehouse right on my way of going to office. I heard about it in college and saw a few people carry Tupperware water bottles, but always thought that it was expensive and I will not be able to afford it. I happened to go to the dealer one day just out of curiosity to see what exactly does she have in the warehouse? I went there and was stupefied to see the Tupperware pieces of all shapes and sizes and colours there. I felt like a small child and leapt to touch almost every article, be it a box or a bottle and was in complete awe of that place and lady.
Slowly and steadily, I managed to befriend that lady and she coaxed me to become take membership so that I get discount in every purchase and I readily obliged. I did not bother to note down my membership number or even take a receipt of the membership. I was thrilled to get hold of a tiffin set and a bottle with a funky carry bag with it and set off. I showed off my new set like a child who shows off his new compass box with magnets. I got a few other things in months to come and passed on to friends as gifts. After a year or two, I shifted from there and my love affair with Tupperware got a set-back as we got separated from each other.

Then after a gap of 4 years, we met again and our affair started again. Got introduced to a lady who sent me all the stuff at my home. I just had to select things from the catalogue she sent every month and transfer her the money online. I haven’t met or seen her yet, but she holds me in high esteem as I am a very easy customer who buys something or the other from her.  I have by now collected almost shapes and sizes and colours of storage boxes and also coaxed my dad to get some for him. He happily agreed. I also gifted a few things to my friends and relatives who visited me. This went on for about 5 months and then I realized that it is getting little too much and I am buying things as if there is a compulsion and I won’t be able to live without ordering Tupperware. It felt like a hungry child who wants all the chocolates available in a stores and still is not satiated. 

I realized that I have got addicted to buying Tupperware stuff and that I must control myself. I purposely avoided the lady’s mail and call asking me to check out the Diwali special catalogue and I thought I was in control. But she sent the December’s catalogue and there, I flipped again. My dad wanted an oil dispenser and a round box to store the daily spices and I ogled at the box and the dispenser in the catalogue. Not looking at anything else, I just ordered these two things, because they were necessary for my kitchen, you see! (I reasoned in the same way for almost every box I bought, that is a different thing!)

But now, I need to stop. I am running out of place to keep the boxes and also my money is dwindling! So my new year’s resolution is going to be “No Tupperware”! Let’s see how much I am able to follow it! Wish me luck people, wish me luck!

:-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...