08 December 2015

Blog Marathon Post 4 - Tu koi aur hai



The song “Tu koi aur hai”, which also happens to be the title of my post today is from the movie called “Tamasha”, which was released 2 weeks back. A.R. Rahman has rendered his voice for this particular song and has also composed music for this movie. My favorite onscreen jodi was cast in this movie and one of my favorite director, Imtiaz Ali was at the helm of it, so I had all the reasons to see it, which I did with my sister (who is a movie buff and watches almost all famous movies released so far) and a colleague and my mom.


This movie is very picturesque in the first half where we get on a trip to Corsica with the leading couple and do majja masti and live a bindhaast and carefree life for 10 days.  I am sure Corsica is going to experience a boom in tourism and Indian tourists will surely flock there. The second half movie is dark and it takes us to the innermost feelings of the character, Ved, who is trapped in a dull routine and his make-believe world of stories explicit with different characters. The struggle between the head and the heart is very beautifully portrayed by Ranbir Kapoor. He wants to break free from the shackles of boring existence where he is tied down to a 9-5 job. His strict father does not let him be what he really wants to be. His father pressurizes him to take a job like 100 others. It is at this point in the movie, when this song is played telling us about the character, that he is someone else on the exterior, very different from the one in the interior. This song also asks us to break the barriers and just be our natural self. Ved wants to paint the world with stories and bring the characters alive and in this pursuit he gets trapped. Only when he realizes that only he can take the story of his life forward and live his dreams, does he truly begin to live again, of course with the help of his lady love. He goes to become a stage artist cum story teller who brings stories to stage with his own imagination and instinct.

I won't be surprised if this movie flops. It requires a certain intellect and sensitivity to really understand what is happening with the character Ved. People in the theatre were laughing at points which showed innermost struggle of 2 personalities of Ved's character. People who understand what it is to let ourselves free and follow our dreams would definitely like the movie. The movie is certainly not for the masses who revel in stupid content-less action movies of the Khan clan and other tribes. 

This movie made me think. What if my parents like other parents had coaxed me to take up medicine or engineering just because it was the "in-thing" in 1990s? I would have been somewhere slogging, earning a decent income, but perhaps with zero enjoyment and satisfaction. They encouraged me to take Arts, take up a foreign language and I excelled in almost everything that I took up later because it was my choice and liking. I know many people who after earning a decent amount and experience give up their cushy jobs and go back to their “inner-calling” and take up what they couldn’t do due to circumstances. Only when we are given freedom to do what we like can we excel and be best at it, is what I feel.  



So next time, you face the mirror or your inner self, don’t let the question pop in your mind “Where have I landed, what I am doing here”. Be true to yourself. Don’t play two different roles where your heart wants something else but brain is doing something else. Do what you really like, don’t follow the masses, but follow your heart. Be little crazy, be nomadic, laugh, love, create memories which you will love to go back to when you are old. Don’t waste time in thinking what people will think if I do this. Just do it and live your life to the fullest. 


1 comment:

  1. True... it's the most painful thing to be two people at the same time. One of person is bound to crush the other's existence and more often it's our true self that gets crushed.

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...