06 December 2015

Blog Marathon Post 2 - My tryst with music

The year 2015 brought many good things into my life.

I got back to this city and my home and family after spending two years in Germany on deputation. I got back to my people and friends whom I missed very much there. I got back into a routine with the help of my parents and the maids around. I also started working, which I really enjoy now. Music has always been my accomplice wherever I have spent time of my life. It was my saving grace in Germany too. I used to put old Hindi and Marathi songs in an otherwise dead and quiet neighbourhood and that brought me close to my motherland and my people.


I had done training in Hindustani Classical vocal when I was in school and then in college, I had continued with it for few years, But then I came to Bangalore for job, I lost touch with everything in which I was trained. I had given up the hope of learning Hindustani Classical music in South-India as Carnatic music is predominately learnt and sung here. But to my surprise I found a teacher in the campus where I stay and I immediately started training under her from this month.



The students there were school going kids and when they saw me in the class, they had a big question mark on their faces. What is this aunty doing here, they must be thinking, I started right from the basics in Hindustani Classical and realized that lot of time has passed and my voice is no longer as it used to be when I was in college. I couldn't reach the upper notes and inspite of teacher telling me how to sing the swaras and alankars (technical terms in music), I was not able to sing them perfectly. I thought I am no good, but my teacher assured me that with time and practice, things will improve and I will be able to sing better. My base training has been good she said and I felt hopeful too.

I observed the other kids around. How carefree they were singing, though wrong many a times. They did not judge themselves just on the basis of not being able to sing the notes correctly. They were enjoying every moment and they were just concentrating on singing. Nothing else was bothering them. I so wanted to become like one of them. I treat myself a beginner in this field of music and slowly and steadily I will be able to sing freely and confidently again. It will basically make me happy, my heart healthy and help me in ageing gracefully.

To read more about the benefits of music please refer to this link:

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2014/03/13/seven-reasons-why-music-benefits-your-health/

http://www.childrensmusicworkshop.com/twelve-benefits-of-music-education/

So looking forward to the next class on Wednesday!



Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you for never letting your enthusiasm waver! Kudos!
    Next time ekadh gana to banta hai 😆😆😆

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...