09 December 2015

Blog Marathon Post 5 - Walk walk walk

Nearly 9 months back, I realized that my sedentary life is doing me no good and that I must bring a change in my lifestyle. I enrolled for Zumba classes for a month, but the speed of the training left me gasping for breath. I had no stamina and no energy left at the end of the session. Besides it got too late to get home and my enthusiasm just vanished in thin air. I got to know about a group on Facebook about ladies who worked out together in monthly challenges from the confines on their home and motivated each other and kept track of each others progress. I got introduced to a whole new world of walking, that too from within the comfort of my home and as per my convenience with zero fees and no running behind time to reach the classes.




Leslie Sansone has created a website www.walkathome.com and there are many workout sessions on her portal which we can download for a nominal fee. Her DVDs are not available here, but one can procure them from the U.S. I religiously started following a diet pattern and doing walking videos. Leslie is a very chirpy lady who talks throughout the videos and creates a very cheerful atmosphere while working out. It doesn't actually feel that we are working out. Walk walk walk is her favorite phrase and she also gives healthy lifestyle tips in her videos. She trains people in the U.S to be walking coach and then these walking coaches do walk sessions, seminars, and classes all over the U.S. I had also inquired about walk leader training, but it involves going there physically and taking the course and at this point in my life, it is not possible to do that. But I wish I meet Leslie sometimes in my life and thank her for making a profound change in my life.

I inspired many of my colleagues and friends to get into this walk habit. As per their convenience and time and mood, they take part in walk challenges and bring about a good change in their lives. My girlfriends in the society, my neighbors are the lately introduced to Leslie's videos on YouTube and we all walk together, cheer each other and motivate each other. It is just the beginning and I am sure they will also experience everything that I did if they do it without fail and with dedication.

I can't stop raving about the benefits I have experienced in past 9 months. I feel cheerful and happy and have a focus in my life, which is to continue doing the walks till the end of my life. I have dropped one size and fit into clothes which I wore before pregnancy. I look lean and fit and toned and I am not tired or dull or lethargic even at 10 pm after a busy day. I sleep well, motions are regular, I eat every 2 hours and am charged up all the time. I get all my regular check-ups done and they all are normal, thanks to the workouts.

What else does one want in life? A fitter and healthy mind and body is the first step towards aging gracefully. Rather than spending money later on medicines and hospitals, I urge you all to invest only 30 minutes a day for yourself. Go for walk, jog, dance, do Zumba, aerobics, strength training, take steps to office instead of the elevator, eat well in controlled portions, sleep well. Keep Arthritis, Diabetes, Heart Disease at bay. Lead a good healthy life today to avoid any further complications in future.

So just move, keep walking and start living!

Read more on the benefits of walking here:

https://www.tescoliving.com/articles/8-reasons-why-walking-is-great-for-your-health

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/health-news/The-many-benefits-of-walking/articleshow/40314625.cms


No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...