19 January 2014

Winter winter wo bist du? (Winter, where are you? )

January is nearing an end and there is still no sign of real winter here in Germany. By real Winter,  I mean temperatures in minus degrees and a lot of snow. However, the temperature is still above zero degrees here and I see the sun almost daily, though for some time. I happened to even see some trees where flowers have started blooming or else all the trees have gone bald since November now.

I am happy that the winter is still evading us because I dread falling down in the snow.  Though i am all set with clothing and good shoes, still the though of walking in the snow to office and back and then bringing tanay back from the crèche sends shivers down my spine even before actually having to do it. It is a good thing to watch all the beautiful snow from within your house. But struggling with it day in and day out may bore me tremendously. I am ok with lot of heat and sunshine, but not with sub-zero temperatures. I also have to see how my little boy deals with the extremely cold weather. It is going to be his first winter here.

Climate change is happening all over tge the world and who else than the great mankind is to be blamed for it. We have ruthlessly cut forests and build concrete jungles. Nature will definitely take it's own sweet time to show us our mistakes. Germany has preserved a lot of greenery and nature, but smoking is a great problem here. I would say 80 percent of the population smokes here though they are so finicky about health and quality of food and everything in general.

Anyways, it is upto the individual to decide how he or she can contribute to his or her surrounding. It is an individual responsibility.

For now, I am ok with the current temperatures and wish the snow doesn't cause much hassles when it really arrives.

1 comment:

  1. Good to know that there's less struggle for you this winter, but couldn't help but feel the anguish of seeing the world a little less charming. Having seen the beautiful weather of Bangalore becoming a thing of the past in the last couple of years, I wish environmentally conscious developed nation like Germany doesn't let Global Warming affect itself. But Alas! as the name suggest... It's Global warming!

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...