19 January 2014

Appreciate what you have..

I am a great fan of a few reality shows that are telecast in India currently and after I am done for the day, I sit back, relax and make it a point to catch a few episodes here and there. Am really thankful to the technology for bringing me all my beloved serials to my home in Germany and on my suave Samsung S3 mobile phone. The latest season of India's Got Talent has got me hooked from past 2 weeks.

I like to see the people who have something special and different about them. It may be an idea which makes them different from the general public or the way they present themselves. I know that huge grooming and marketing is involved in such shows, but nonetheless people do get a chance to showcase their talents and I am quite happy about it. Last week, a girl contestant had come on the show and she said she was passionate about dancing. They showed the clip of how she loves dancing and all and when she walked on the stage, everyone including me were stunned. She was walking with the help of crutches and she had only ONE leg!! Yes. You read me right. She had only one leg and she was going to perform a dance number. The judges were stunned and they asked her the reason for this handicap. She mentioned that in an accident due to negligence, she lost her leg. It was a minor fracture, but due to somebody's fault, her leg had to be amputed from the root.


And she was standing there smiling radiantly. And she danced. She danced like there was no tomorrow. She danced like she was dancing for her own self. She didn't dance to impress the judges, but she did it for pure joy of it. After the performance, every one stood up and clapped for her. She then called her mother on the stage and it was very heartening to see them together,  cry and smile together. The courage, these both ladies showed was really exemplary and brought tears to almost everybody. She had a handicap, but she chose not to sit and brood and be sad over it and took it in her stride and gave a terrific performance. Judges took her to the next round and gave her a lot of blessings and good wishes. 

I then thought to myself. Why do we normal people crib so much inspite of the fact that we are blessed with all organs necessary for good functioning of our body. Do we really take care of our body parts?  Do we pay attention to our heart beats anytime?  What if the heart suddenly stops one day? What will happen if one day the legs decide that they won't take us out of the bed? We will be certainly doomed. Eyes add color to our life and without them,  we won't be able to work a second. I decided then and there to say thank you to God and all the parts of my body, because they are working in perfect harmony and that is the reason I am alive and kicking.

I also decided to worry less or crib less or frown or be angry. Life is beautiful, people in your life make it more beautiful for you. So why not cherish your moments with them rather than worrying about what you don't have now. One should be progressive and ambitious, no doubt, but not at the cost of one's health or the loved ones. If one puts in hard work and destiny supports you too, you will definitely achieve your goals.

Enjoy and appreciate what you have is what I want to remind myself and also practice from now on.

Your take on it?

1 comment:

  1. Very touching! I can't imagine being handicapped and living life differently... that said, those who do live differently are such brave souls and have so much to teach the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...