13 January 2014

Reconnecting

Yesterday, I got a mail from a friend, who was not in touch with me for a long time, telling me that he visits Germany sometimes and would like to meet up if time permits. I was pleasantly surprised to see his mail and also very happy to know that he mailed me, though after a long time. My whole day was spent in that good mood and I thought to myself, it was such a small thing, a few lines written to me, but that bought me so much joy and made me feel so important!

I instantly wrote to him and we got talking to each other again. We quickly caught up with each other about the time when we weren't in touch and realized that nothing much has changed in our lives. But still we were glad to have each other back. Maybe the bond we shared earlier might get renewed or we might have to start all over again or we might be just back to our old selves, pulling each other's legs. It all depends on how seriously you take this reconnecting thing, isn't it?

Thanks to the technology, Facebook, Whtsapp, long lost friends from schools and colleges are meeting each other virtually. I managed to get in touch with my childhood friend of 16 years and also my best friend from MA years through Whtsapp again. I could reconnect with my college group also, who are all working mothers now and in different cities in Mumbai. It felt so good to be together, once again! All those memories of college fun were refreshed. That time we talked about movies, outings, studies. Now, we talk about jobs, kids, routines!It gives a sense of solidarity to once again belong to a group of like minded people and share things and feelings. They all are miles away from me, but hardly a ping away, I can say. The lonliness here lessens a lot and I feel good about staying connected with my friends, with whom I spent 5 wonderful years of my life.

I am actually surprised to see here that people nearby, be it Indians, whom I meet here or the people living here in this country, hardly have made any attempts to stay connected with me. Maybe, they didn't like me much. haha. Just kidding! But, I tried to meet up with 2-3 Indian girls, whom I got to know after coming here, but they did not show any enthusiasm at all to meet up and chat. Maybe they were too busy or it just slipped out of their mind that I had made any such offer anytime. I left it there and wouldn't impose myself on them again. I hardly see my neighbors, leave alone connecting with them.

It has also happened to me that due to some misunderstanding, I have lost good friends after an attempt from my side, many a times, to forgive and forget and get going, but it didn't work. The friends just did not respond and I respected their decision of not getting reconnected. Our journey together was only for that short while, I suppose!

I would leave you here with one thought.

Have you felt like this anytime that people who are physically near are inaccesible when you actually want company and someone to share and the people who are far physically are just a click or a ping or a call away?

1 comment:

  1. I certainly have experienced the distance between the people who were physically just hands length away from me while feeling closer than ever to my friend far away in a foreign land. Guess we it all happens to make us realise who really matters and who is there in life just for the moment.

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...