27 January 2014

The Kindle experience

Technology has come very far. 

Earlier, the scriptures were handed down to next generations orally and for the fear of losing it or forgetting it, then the practice of writing them down started and thus the words books and print took hold and now in the year 2013, I hold a gadget (Amazon Kindle Paperwhite) in my hands, which has all my favorite books, not in print, but in e-format. I really wanted to show this gadget to my grandfather, who was extremely well read person and who always encouraged reading. He wouldn't have believed his eyes that something like this could also happen and he could read books without actually holding the book in his hands! Alas, that is not possible, but I will always remember him for his encouragement to read and this amazing new gadget has actually taken me back to the good old habit of reading and I do make it a point to read a few pages before I go to sleep.

Buying English books in Germany is a costly affair. And there is always a mental comparison happening at the back of my mind between Euros and Indian Rupees, when I buy books here. Kindle helps me a variety of English books and at a very low cost when compared with the book in print. It is immediately available to read as soon as I am done with the payment and I can start reading it whenever I want. It is a slim gadget, adequately lit and easy to carry. One has to buy a cover case as it does not come along with the gadget. You need not worry about the last page which you read and remember it because as soon as you open the e-reader next time, you start from the page, where you had left. I found it an amazing feature. Battery life is also very good, lasts for over a week, once fully charged. And the screen is very robust and not smooth like the touch screen mobile handsets, which is a very nice thing, I guess! You won't like to touch slippery surfaces and miss the certain pages when it comes to reading your favorite books. It is very easy to understand for first time users and if one comes across any difficult words while reading, the word can be referred then and there in the dictionary and also on Wikipedia! Amazing na? You can exchange books with other friends, who might also be using Kindle, just like it happens in a library.

I devoured two simple books of Sudha Murthy in almost 4 days and also have made a few purchases of different books. The next one is called Mithya by Devdutt Patnaik, on the recommendation of my friend, John Jethi and the book is all about Hindu Mythology. I have always been curious about it and hope to find answers to many questions hovering in my head!

How apt is the name of the gadget, Kindle! It means to start burning or to stir up. It rightly brings forth the desire to read more and more and be well read and well informed, thanks to this gadget, in my case! 

Wish me Happy Reading people!

:-)


1 comment:

  1. Reading this post of yours makes me all the more impatient!!! Can't wait till 4th of Feb when the new Kindle Paperwhite hits the Indian stores and I lay my hands on one :-)

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...