11 January 2014

Cooking isn't rocket science

This is the tag line of my friend Deepa's culinary blog. She is extremely passionate about cooking and makes wonderful dishes and makes them available for all on her blog. Her husband who is a photographer takes photos of those dishes and makes them even more tempting. I wish I had a little interest myself towards this wonderful art of putting different things together and making one wonderful, mouth watering recipe.

My grandmother still cooks at the age of 86. She never gets tired of being in kitchen. Whenever I visit my parents, she asks for my wishlist in advance and then cooks one dish after the other to my heart's content. I miss her tasty dishes in Germany. I have inherited my maternal quality (mother and her mom) of being able to just survive in the kitchen by making the bear minimum and not go beyond the usuals. My mother in law is also an inspiration when it comes to cooking. She can literally put anything and everything in a dish and make it excellent.

I am sure even today the quality of being able to cook delicious food is often a parameter to judge if a woman can be a good wife and a good daughter-in-law in a new family. One of my friends was scorned by her father in law for keeping a cook and for not cooking by herself despite the fact that she was working and was not able to manage cooking. Her interests were different. It is also true that a woman has to be at least knowing to cook something for herself at least. How long and how much can one eat outside and spend money and get the health spoiled?

Now in Germany after getting tired of eating bread, I have slowly started venturing out of the usual rice dal sabji roti routine. I ask my mommies for tips and also refer to youtube videos. I usually see 2-3 videos for the same recipe and then prepare the dish according to my style. I tried Chole, matar paneer, aloo tikki and I must admit that the recipes turned out to be better than I expected. I had never thought that I would be able to make eatable dishes. I know how I manage to cook the daily items, with great difficulty.



My husband and son eat whatever I cook, without any fuss or complaints. I do not remember a single time when my husband has said that something has not turned out to be good. And now as this new year ushers in, it makes me confident and gives me courage and strength to try out diverse dishes, strictly vegetarian though! Cooking can also prove to be a good stress buster and I know it is so for many of my friends. John postts various dishes on Instagram and he is in a way a great inspiration. So is my dear Anju mavshi in US who sent me the recipe for dates cake. Mavshi,  I haven't made it yet, but it is on my cards. I will be more dedicated and conscious in this amazing world of spices and vegetables and grains and try to gain a few good signature dishes of my own.

See my daring people, I am even going to try the typical Maharashtrian sweet called Tilgul (white sesame and jaggery) for the Sankranti festival on 14th January this year for my family and office colleagues.

Wish me luck guys!




2 comments:

  1. Awesome Mrunalini! Hope you like this new venture of experimenting in the kitchen.

    I would wait for pics of your new dishes and please share the Dates cake recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh wow..I am mentioned here..hugss..btw welcome to the culinary world. It is amazing and such a huge stress buster. Btw make the dates cake soon.:)

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...