16 January 2014

Das ist grün..

Das ist grün..

Das ist blue..

Das ist schwaaz..

These are the latest phrases of my son which he says at least 100 times in a day now. He is now 21 months old and speaks almost everything in Marathi and has also started picking up the German language from the crèche as he spends almost 8 hours there! He answers everything in Ja (yes) and repeats everything what his care taker tells him. It is such a great fun to watch him in this phase, where he is able to express what he feels and what he wants. Currently he is fascinated by colors. He wants to know the color of anything and everything he holds in hands. His favorite color is blue! He now even decides which color pant he wants to wear at home. Isn't it amazing? I wonder what I was like when I was 21 years old. As a mother personally, this journey has been fantabulous. Right from the news that I am expecting till the time he started talking, cut his first tooth, started calling me 'aai' (mom) till now when he has started commanding things, showing anger, guilt, happiness, every moment has been exciting and challenging and a huge learning for me. 

I am amazed at the way kids develop language skills. Though science attempts to explain it, I still am awestruck at how a small dot throbbing at 6 weeks in the womb turns into a nimble and smart kid.  We have been talking to him since day 1, rather even before he was born. We told him about every little thing around assuming he understood everything like adults. He used to listen keenly and he responded when he could. He started walking late, but started speaking quite early. When I look around here, the kids hardly talk or show emotions at his age. Wonder why and how kids can sit so quietly with the pacifier in their mouths for hours together! My kiddo won't do that for a second. His hands, legs and mouth are busy from the time he is awake till he sleeps. He even talks in sleep, says some phrase like 'kann nicht' (cannot do it!). He is a great kid, always smiling, laughing and attention commanding. He is the most talkative and active of all kids in the crèche and almost all the kids there know him! Sometimes, when he realizes that we are not listening to him, he calls us by name, Atul, Runali (he can't pronounce Mrunalini) and then laughs when we look at him. He very well knows that his dad doesn't like being called by name, but he still does it to amuse us!

Life is so different after he has arrived in our lives. I can't imagine staying away from him for a day, but as he grows up, I might be able to go on a trip or a business tour without him just like other working mothers who have to be on a job without kids. But I do not want to think about it as of now. His development shall now take in leaps and bounds and I am so very charged up to see the different phases in his life and of course ours!

I won't be surprised if he corrects my German in the years to come and tell me, 

Mamma, du kannst kein Deutsch (You do not know German!)

1 comment:

  1. Aww... reading this reminds me of being around my nephew while he was picking up words in Hindi, Oriya and English... Kids are really amazing to observe and they never cease to amuse you with what they do and how quickly they pick up things around them! Probably you should take videos and keep a video library of Tanay.

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...