30 July 2011

Carpe diem


Carpe diem is a phrase from a Latin poem. This poem was written by Horace. He must have had no idea that this phrase would create a revolution in the lives of people including me. This has been a theme of many songs and movies in Bollywood and also Hollywood.

This phrase is popularly translated as "seize the day", which means live this moment without worrying much about the future. Future is uncertain and full of surprises, so why waste today, which is a present from god in thinking about what will happen tomorrow.

Why am I explaining this to you all my friends?

This is the after-effect of watching the movie "Zindagi na milegi dobara". This movie has been the talk of the town since its shooting started. Lovely backdrop of Spain, well-written story, seasoned actors like Hrithik Roshan, Abhay Deol and Farhan Akhtar and meaningful songs have left me in awe.

3 friends set out on a road trip to Spain for the bachelor party of one friend, who is soon going to get married. Each one of them has planned an adventure sport and the other 2 have no clue of it till they reach the destinations and they have to experience it on the spot. While trying out 3 different adventure sports, they conquer their inner fears and let go their emotional baggage and become free and stop worrying about tomorrow. Katrina Kaif has a small role where she introduces Hrithik to things which look really small, but change his life and outlook towards life. The person who is always obsessed with money now enjoys the beauty of nature around him and realizes what all he has missed all this time. By the end of their vacation, they are changed individuals and their bonding becomes stronger.

The film leaves you with a good feeling and a thought that have you done everything you always really wanted to do or are you waiting for your 40th or 50th or 60th birthday to do that thing? Who knows if we even see our 60th birthday? How long are you going to run the rat race and mint money and lose out on small things and moments to be spent with your loved ones?

The other day, I was talking to my close friend, Aabha and we discussed about what things she would like to do before she departs this world and she had a long list. I was surprised at her list. I told her if you have so many passions and interests, why are you stuck in this corporate rut and complaining about it day in and day out? She had no answer. Her priority now is earning money because she has to repay her loan, which is quite understandable. Quitting job might not be possible at the moment, but then she can always take up something in parallel to her job. This will keep her going and also give her strength to fight it out at the work place. Isn't it?

Earning lots of money is not everything. We should also be able to enjoy the money that we earn and we definitely lose out on many wonderful moments of life while trying to make more and more money.

So friends, think about it.

Take something up which charges you up, gives you immense pleasure and brings a smile on your face. There might be things, which money can't always buy you. Try to find such things.

Life will be definitely very different then.

10 comments:

  1. Hey! I watched it too and absolutely adored that concept...did you like the poems by Javed Akhtar?? I just loved it...especially the last one...about hairaniyan in your eyes...lol! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I agree... We cannot leave the routine life cause of various obligations but then life can definitely be interesting if we can create a parallel life where we can live just for ourselves.. I must add it takes lot of energy and determination to do that... Perhaps that's why there are very few genuinely happy people around .

    ReplyDelete
  3. In bet the new look of the blue sky is cool!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right dear, after effects of this movie ZNMD is still on my mind :-) You have written it very well !!! After watching this movie my wish list has actually increased. Hehe !!! Last but not the least, I just love the new look of your blog. It actually suits to the name “ BLUE SKY”.. Keep it up !!! Keep Posting !!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant writing!!! I agree with your words in the blog....

    But how often do we realise these things..Its only when we watch a movie like this that it suddenly sets in that we have lost on several things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mrunal tu tar gmail varun gayab zalis!!!!!!!!!Today I saw your blogspot and read it.Speaking for myself I was in the same rut as your friend Abha, money more money but that happiness didnt come which used to come so easily with one 10 paisa choclate,one diwali frock...did a huge retrospection and lo I found my joy.The real joy now comes to me when I help anyone find their dreams(manytimes it lies rusted deepwithin atleast Abha has a list to accomplish, so many toh have lost their dreams).Haluwar tya sapnavarch sawat kadun tyanchi khari shakti jeva appan tyana dakwto aaha thats the feeling is amazing Mrunal.You must experience it......

    ReplyDelete
  7. chaNe miLaweparyant daat paDalele asatil :-) .. jewaDhe miLatayt toparyant khaun gheNe ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. liked ur new blue sky....this is much better than autumn leaves....of course my opinion..
    abt my wish list, when u told me, i thought a lot abt it....n just couldnt shortlist 3....there r so many....i guess i am just not yet ready to die :) hehe....but still listing some here
    1) wanna be a mother soon,
    2) want to pursue my dream career n actually working in one of my dream organisations,
    3) want to enjoy my old age past times with amit, quarreling, loving, sharing each n every ounce of our life
    4) want my parents with me for eternity, they should be there with me even when i would be 80 yrs old, i would need their love n support even then :)
    5) want to be successful, want my name to be recognized by at least 1000 people arnd (and this is not exaggeration, this is my true dream)

    Sorry mrunal, i know tht many of these dont fit into ur "short span of time dreams", i just could not think of any short term dreams for me right now, if i m gng to die in 6 months. but i really wanted to list down this 5 tht r constantly at the bk of my mind.....today n always unless i achieve this....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ke sera sera - right?
    Hope you too get to enjoy this life as you always long for. The same thought had passed my mind when I saw the photographs of you new house - do you get enought time to stay in that "home" you both have built?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liked your writing.
    Didn't see the movie, don't think I will. Not in favour of learning philosophy from masala movies and a documentary on Spain. ;)

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...