21 July 2011

Office Office

How should one feel when he/she is suddenly asked to hand over the work related responsibilities (which he/she has been carrying out quite well in past 3-4 months) to someone in the office who has just joined?

Reason: This person leads the team remotely, which does not make sense to the management and the management needs someone who can handle team in that location itself. From the business point of view, it is justified. But from that individual's perspective? Isn't that detrimental to his/her self confidence and his/her ability to lead the team nicely?

The person in question is me, who is working in the company since 4 yrs now and has a good command on whatever I do. Recently I was given the responsibility of leading the team and assigning work to my colleagues and keeping a track of all that is been done. There were no escalations in the time I looked after the assignment part. Translated documents were delivered on time, I managed all the mail communication well and suddenly in the last week, it was communicated to me, "Hello there! Your services are no longer needed for this role. You are as good as invisible and we need someone who can be present there physically. So, you can decide if you want to go back to your previous role of document translation or do something else. Discuss this with the new person who will take over and decide accordingly."

Working remotely in the sense, not working closely with the team by sitting with them has always been a problem for me in the long run. My previous project also chucked me out giving me the same reason that you are extremely good, but we can't continue working with you remotely and yet again the history is going to get repeated. I felt bad on knowing that my hard work did not pay off well even this time. There is a possibility that I can re-locate to the place where my team sits and do the role of a team leader from there.

But then I am committed to my husband and my home and I will not move away from them for the sake of making a career. I am not someone who will sacrifice my personal life for the sake of moving up the ladder. I am rather content with whatever I have now. Many of you might think that I am not strong enough to struggle and make my voice and decision heard. But my hubby and my home have always been the focal points in my life and shall always be and I would rather work on my own than re-locate to a location where I have to start everything afresh.

Am I right in whatever I am thinking and doing?

7 comments:

  1. First of all, sorry to hear about this. It hurts immensely. Second, are you doing the right thing? There is no one in the world including your husband who can tell you that. It is your world, your priorities, your goals, your plans, and eventually your decision. My measure in such cases is whether I am going to regret this decision after some time. If it is yes, I tend to not do it. Because if I would regret it later, then I am not going to be happy. If I am not happy, I am not good with people around me who are my family and friends. If I am not good with them, I am only making myself and other more unhappy. That means I regret more. You see the cycle here? So, take your time and think about it.
    Also, if this is a recurrence, you might also want to look at what you are missing. There must be something that you might be doing wrong if the management always feels that remote working is not working in your case.
    All the best with whatever decision you take!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shilpa, thanks for your candid comments. I will not regret not going to Pune and I have many things which I can do here itself and be happy about it. And regarding your last remark that I might be doing something wrong by working remotely, I would like to say that there is a problem in the remote support model itself. I was discharging my duties without any problems, but management made the decision. So, there is no gap on my side :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand what you are going through now. I have been in the same situation in the past. But then I would re-iterate, it's your priorities and your decisions. The later being dependant on the former.

    Not shifting to Pune is a good decision given that your family is here and it needs your attention more than anything else. Your managers are also correct in their reasoning that they need someone in person to manage the team.

    Said that, I would also say it was lack of foresight on your managers part to delegate the lead responsibility to you when they knew you won't always be available in person. Maybe you can talk to them as to what was missing on your part as a lead. Many teams are run remotely by managers sitting at onshore and I am sure you have done a good job of delivering quality everytime. I have seen your hard work when I was in Accenture.

    Speak to your managers and get your responsibilities back. There are chances that the understanding of both the parties might not be on the same page, in which case just let it go. As you said your priority is your Husband and your Home. Things might feel bad momentarily but down the line in retrospective they won't matter much and you shall be proud of your decision. Afterall everything happens for a reason and the reasons are always good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. its always like tht, in almost all IT companies they always want a TL to be there in person with the team, i think ur decision of not gng to pune is really good, ultimately its u who is gng to decide on ur priorities.....i would say just make sure tht next time u foresee something before ur managers...tht might hurt a lil less.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have taken a right decision of not going to Pune. Ultimately It’s you who knows what is your priorities right now. I liked the focus & the responsibilities wt you have towards your family & house. Good decision girly. I am with you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our decisions are based on our priorities. And along with it, if we are able to fulfill our other duties immensely well, then nothing like it. Kudos to you for a job so well done. And also for being brave in taking decisions that matter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know can udnerstand what you must be thinking and feeling..but i feel it takes a hell lot of guts to face such situations and I feel extreamly proud of you that you handled it so nicely..not many can do that..I feel whatever decision you have taken is completely right as it is you who would decide your prios..so kudos to such a big step..Respect!!!!

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...