03 July 2011

Resort - like

Up to the last 10 years Bangalore was a haven of greenery and wonderful climate.

Due to the industrialization and the IT boom, this city has been a witness to massive migration from all parts of the country and the title of being the coolest city in almost all months during the year is slowing slipping away. When I came to Bangalore in 2005, I stayed in a 2 BHK which was on a ground floor and didn't realize the summer heat which gripped other people in the city. After I got married, we shifted to an independent house which was on the first floor and there was just the terrace above our flat. It was then we realized, how hot even Bangalore gets in the months of April, May and June. It became very unbearable especially in the evenings, when I came back from office and opened the door to a furnace which was my house. It got baked from all sides throughout the day and it became so hot inside that I had to open all the windows and doors and let the cool wind from outside come in and cool the baked house. Every day I thought, we should get a AC or a cooler, but then again the thought came that summers are not going to last for ever. In all other seasons, it was a pleasure to stay there.

Atul and I loved being in this city and our jobs were also lucrative and interesting. We decided to buy a flat of our own and settle down in Bangalore for some years. As you all know, property rates in Bangalore are enormous and to get a 2 BHK flat in a decent locality, one has to shell out lot of money. After seeing many sites and properties, we settled down on one which was in a small complex, comprising of only 9 buildings which had only 3 floors. Ours was on the ground floor and it was facing an orchard of sapota (chiku) trees and it was elevated, had car parking below, giving us a feel of being on the 1st floor itself.

It took nearly 1 and a half years to get the flat ready for us to move in. We did the vastu shanti puja (grihpravesh and house warming) in February itself when the wood work was on. Finally in June this year, I moved to our new flat, our dream house with the help of my parents and a helper. Atul was away for work in Germany and I didn't want to wait for 2 more months to move in to the new house. I had already prepared myself mentally for it and was waiting to go there.

First day of our stay seemed very much like being on a holiday or a vacation to a resort. Cool breezes, green trees swaying to its tunes and different birds talking to each other in their own language was a pleasing sight and the connection to nature was instant. There were hardly any people visible lest you walk down to the main gate or cooks or maids ringing your door bell to check if you needed their services. I was feeling so relaxed amidst such a calm and quiet surrounding that I felt lazy to step out of this tranquility even to go to the office, which is within 2 kms from my house. There is so much of humdrum once I step out of this haven of mine that it seems as if 2 different worlds co-exist. But then I have to go out for work and for sundry purposes and I shouldn't get lazy, isn't it?

Moving to my own house has been a welcome change in my life and I love this laid back and silent life where one has time to do what one likes and has time to spend on leisure activities and not run like mad men in the rat race, where people do not know where they are heading to. This peace in the exterior surrounding will also give me inner peace and fodder to my thoughts which I can pen down on my blog. I will be able to write more often and on more varied topics and chances are that I also venture out into some other hobbies like learning a language or joining dance classes. My parents and mother in law think it is too quiet here and they have nothing much to do here. That is true in their case as they have a life in Dombivli and Pune respectively and this stay in Bangalore in the new house will be a nice change for them for a few days.

I am waiting for Atul to return and his comments on this resort - like home of ours!

Mr. Dabke, your thoughts on it, once you are back to namma Bengaluru please!!!!

1 comment:

  1. hv a happy stay in ur own house....may ur life flourish in this new place n may ur awaited dreams and desires come true....

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...