16 July 2011

Book review - I too had a love story

I am always fascinated by anything that is related to love and companionship and sharing.

The book "Love Story" by Erich Segal is one of my favorites and I also loved the movie very much, though it has a tragic end.

"P.S. I love you" by Cecilia Ahern is another favorite of mine and it sits on my bookshelf in the first place.

When Sai and Tejaswini, my friends from office were talking about this book, "I too had a love story", I thought here comes another heart-wrenching story, didn't have many expectations from the book. But I got hold of that book yesterday and I couldn't believe myself that I finished it in 1 day flat.

The book is written by an IT professional and the book says that it is a true love story.

The protaganist meets the love of his life through a matrimonial site and they hit off instantly. Though distance separates them, they get close to each other and fall in love, eventually meet and decide to get married. They believe that they have met their soul mate. Everybody is happy, the families meet each other and decide the date of engagement and just 2 days before the engagement, she meets with a terrible accident and dies after struggling for almost 7 days. The protaganist is devastated, but he still lives for the sake of it and cherishes all the moments he spent with his lady love and doesn't want to get married again. This is the gist of the book.

The author has used very simple language, very pictorial and I could literally see the very loving, caring and free spirited Khushi, his lady love. Their involvement in each other, their sharing and caring and their talks moved me a lot and I could see myself in them as I have also gone through that phase. I also met my sweetheart on an e-group and by chatting, calling each other and meeting personally, we gradually got married.

The tragic end of their love story blanked me out and I was uneasy for a very long time..

My husband often goes on business trips for 2-3 months, but I know that sometime he is going to be back and I wait for that day eagerly. What must be the author feeling about his love, which is never going to come back to him ever? I felt very bad for him and was moved to tears, the emotional person in me took over the rational person in me.

My raakhi brother from school married his sweetheart, but lost her to malaria within 3 months of their marriage.
Another friend of mine had a childhood sweetheart, their wedding date was decided and suddenly one day after she returned from a foreign assignment, she realized that she has cancer which is in the last stage. And within 2 months, she died and he faced it bravely. Fortunately for him, he met somebody later and they are happily married now.

These 2 people flashed in front of my eyes when I was reading the book. I thought as if they both are talking their hearts out through this book. I knew their pain and lonliness now and could feel what they might have gone through.

I wish the author meets someone again in his life and he meets someone who would love him more than Khushi did. For that he has to keep his heart open and believe that love finds it own way.

And a word of caution to everybody who are happily married or wanting to get settled with their partners.

Don't take each other for granted and try to do everything possible to show how much he/she means to you.

Remember, Life is beautiful because he/she is with you!!

4 comments:

  1. Good article dear. Very well expressed :-) Even I too had a same type of experience when I read this book. I was unable to control my emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thank you Mrunalini to let me know about this book. I am terrified of books or movies who remind me of this inevitable truth that leaves our lives altered. It is sad that many people had to go through it. And it is true that nothing and noone can be taken for granted. I only hope that each of us are strong enough to go through any eventuality. And most of all, we all enjoy each bit of today that we have with us. Very well written and keep posting more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have rightly ended the post with the note not to take each other for granted.

    Not only married or to-be-married, but even between friends and family we shouldn't take anyone for granted. Though it's hard to imagine any untoward incident separating two individuals forever, it's the hard truth that no one can predict. As you mentioned, we must make use of every bit of the present to show our appreciation and love for the other person.

    A well written post that makes me think of the uncertainty of the next moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wanna read, i ll look for it here in library, its an old or new book??

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...