16 March 2017

Summer vacations, yay!!!



It's almost mid-March and kids are busy with their exams and their mothers are more heckled than the kids are. Kids come to play down and relax a bit, but the moms stay at home wondering how can he/she go to play now? Tomorrow is Biology paper and what not. My son is just 5, so we are little away from this hustle bustle of exams. We are still in that carefree zone and I wish later also it remains the same. 

My mom is visiting me for 3 weeks and then my in-laws and father and brother-in-law will come for my son's birthday and then mom-in-law will stay back and later my dad will visit me again in May. So for me, my summer vacations have started from yesterday. With my family and favorite and most important people in my life, this vacation will stretch till May end now. The household chores will be taken care of by my mother and she loves cleaning and keeping herself busy. So I don't have to worry about the clothes in the washing machine, fold them, arrange them, arrange the dishwasher and all other stuff for some time at least.

Summer vacations during my school time means spending two months with my grandmother in Mumbai, visit Chowpatty there, eat bhel puri, sev puri, go to Taraporewala aquarium, visit the Queen's necklace and Nariman Point, eat baraf ka gola and yes mangoes to top it all! Preparing mango milk shake and having it was my favorite task. We also had small funfair in the chawl where I prepared dishes with neighbor's kids and sold them and had lots of fun eating them too! We watched movies like Chota Chetan, Honey I shrunk the kids etc., which were released especially for kids. We played cards, we played dumb charades, we played Antakshari, oh, and it was so much of fun!

Nowadays, kids are enrolled to hobby classes and summer courses. I don't see kids visiting their grandparents in May like I did. I don't take Tanay to Mumbai or Pune either. His grandparents only come here during that period as it is his Annual day and birthday time! And Bangalore is better than those two cities, especially during the summers! T is in a different mood from yesterday, from the time his Dombivli Jeeya is here. He ate and slept with her. Showed off everything to her that she missed in last one year that she didn't visit us. He has also ordered her to get him from daycare at 3 pm daily. And she is ready to obey his orders and will leave in some time to pick him up.

For me summer vacations mean bonding time of grandchildren with their grandparents. The parents relax a bit, take a backseat, and look at their parents and their kids with joy and amusement. Once I was in my son's position and in some years, I will be in my mother's position (when I become a grandparent). All the phases are exciting and have their own rawness and sweetness!



1 comment:

  1. I remember my summer vacation days. Though we hardly went out of the city during the vacation, a two day trip to Puri and a week at grandma's place was guaranteed and along with the fun of no studies and day long play time. I wish our jobs also came with a summer vacation

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...