02 March 2017

Riya's Retro

I am a great music buff.

I like to listen to music when I am alone at home, working on my laptop. I like to have some noise around me. No, noise is not a good word to describe the absence of silence. I would like to call it sound, yes, I like to have some sound around me, some life around me, and some movement in form of music around me. I like to hear old Hindi classics (especially from 70s and 80s and 90s to some extent). There is an app called Gaana available on Android and I am a loyalist of it. My favorite show is Riya's Retro which is out every Wednesday.


Riya Mukherjee, the host, has such a beautiful, husky and mesmerizing voice that I love to hear her talk. I wish the show goes on and on and doesn't stop after 1 hour. She chooses one composer or singer or artist and then weaves such beautiful stories around their lives and work that it is almost their life story coming out in form of music. She gives references on how the song was made, how was it sung, the history behind it and so on. Her research in this field is tremendous and I got to know many things about this mesmerizing music world which has drawn me more to it.

Riya is a philosopher, she talks about life, people, love, separation, agony, greed, almost all emotions that we all experience on a daily basis. I feel like she is talking to one and all and tugging at the chords in everyone's hearts who listens to her program. Today she played songs of two composers, Ravindra Jain and Ravi. And she wove the program around it so beautifully. She has done episodes on Gulzar, which are my all-time favorite and Asha ji and R.D. Burman, Kishore Kumar. Aww! What songs, what line of work and what dedication and what commitment! They are not stalwarts just like that. Tremendous efforts and love and passion towards the craft of composing and singing melodious music was always their priority and that is the reason, people still remember the gems and not the music that was kala chasma or kaali kaali ankhen or ladki beautiful kar gayi chull. Where's the music industry heading to, really?

Riya's Retro takes me back to the good old times, to the times where melody, lyrics and voices singing the songs were soothing. The songs felt surreal and very endearing. When I listen to songs of Kabhi Kabhi, I feel as I am there right below the blue black sky singing neela aasman so gaya. Or I am actually skating and singing hava ke saath saath from Seeta aur Geeta. I get lost in that old music and wonder how would be today without them at all. How soothing were those melodies! And they came so spontaneously and easily to one's mind!

Season 1 in 2016 was really good and I am looking forward to Season 2 of which 5 episodes are already aired and I loved each one of them.



2 comments:

  1. I will check out Riya's retro on Ganna app. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Somebody just shared this with me. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...