21 March 2017

The meow story

I am an extremely friendly person.

I am not afraid of cats or dogs or cockroaches or lizards. I do not shout and jump at their sight or run away from them. I react, but not very sensationally. Cats have been a regular in my maternal house when I was in school. There were 3 generations of cats and we all lived very harmoniously for many years. We all loved and pampered those hairy soft balls of fur and also took care of their legacy by almost opening a maternity home for the cats.
After moving to Bangalore, I saw cats on the streets, but never got them home or went near them. Suddenly from past 2-3 months, a tom cat has started visiting us regularly. He gets on to the wall on the ground floor near our bedroom balcony and comes in the balcony from the grills. He meows very softly when he sees me. He has started recognizing me now. If he sees me down on the road, walking, his voice immediately changes and he tries to come near to me. I speak to him in Marathi as if he understands whatever I say. But I do speak to him. People around may find it amusing.

So the other day, I gave him milk when he came to the balcony and just sat there besides him for 5 minutes. Immediately after lapping up all the milk in the bowl, he climbed onto my lap and nicely relaxed himself. I found it very amusing. As if a small kid climbs onto the lap, he came onto mine, without any fear. He lay there for 10 minutes like that with his eyes closed and his stomach was bulging in and out with his every breath. It was making a strange sound of grrr and I was patting him and pampering him.

We both just sat there for about 10 minutes in peace. There was a soft breeze blowing and birds were chirping. I was feeling so peaceful within that I wished life continued like this for long. No tensions, no worries, no thoughts. Just blank mind and enjoy the present. The cat chose me to give me those wonderful 10 minutes, oblivious of the fact who I am and what I do. He did not judge me or think twice about my character or status in the society. He just felt comfortable around me and he exercised his right over me and sat in my lap. He wanted to come inside the house, but I don't entertain him. He can visit us only in the balcony.

My son has named him Tom and is as excited as I am when Tom calls us out to give milk to him. Tom reminds me constantly of his bigger relative, the Tiger. The mannerisms and look are same, just that the shapes are different. I am in awe of  Tigers and cats intrigue me too!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...