14 March 2016

Blog Marathon Post 9 - Women's Day Celebrations

8th March is celebrated as International Women's Day. On that day suddenly everybody decides to wish the women around and celebrate womanhood. Companies hold talks and do programs related to the topic of emancipation of women and how the company supports women employees and salutes them for their spirit etc. Nothing against that. They have good intentions. No doubt. Just like there were celebrations all over India, our housing society also decided to host a small program and we all were really looking forward to it as I was going to sing a song in the program.
The program started at 7 pm with a devotional song and then there were 1 minute games in which I participated and won. Then there was a group dance of kids and my song was constantly pushed forward. I waited and waited and waited. Then came the turn of 4 speakers, who were "experts" in their own fields. One spoke on Benefits of Yoga, one on Dental care, one on lifestyle and the last spoke on Beauty tips. In all this, I was hardly noticed and no one except the host had a clue that I was waiting for my turn since past 2 hours.

Finally at 9:30, when the 4th speaker was invited to talk, I decided to go home. My time had been wasted. I was hungry, sitting there like a fool, who was waiting for my turn patiently and hopelessly. Every time one speaker finished, I would have the hope to be called to perform so that it was like a filler between two speeches. But no, my hopes were dashed. I gave up, my physical and mental strength gave up and I backed out. I informed the host and told her that I will be leaving now as it is too late. Mrs. President of our society, with a big heart told me to wait for some more time and that they would all listen to what I have to say. I graciously said, no thank you and came home feeling dejected and weak.

I thought to myself: Women don't have respect for other women and their time. How on earth and why on earth will men respect a woman for what she is. The speakers who were asked to speak that day were all great, no doubt. They invested their time and efforts for the program, but a commoner like me? Did my time not matter at all? I was asked to wait to give way to others to speak, but organizers did not have any regards for my patience. Why would I participate in any function after this episode?

Immediately in an hour or two, the host and the organizer messaged me saying nothing went as per the plan and that they are sorry that I couldn't sing. Really!? I told them it's o.k and nothing much could be done. I slept off with a not-so-good feeling.


1 comment:

  1. Mrunalini,do not get dejected for not got a chance to sing. But you were prepared. .....baba

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...