09 March 2016

Blog Marathon Post 7 - Contours Women's Day Run

As I had written in my earlier post on Pinkathon, the next Run which I was looking forward to was this. Contours women's Day Run® (CWDR®) is an annual event held to raise awareness and help empower the Indian Woman. My neighbour, who participated in the Pinkathon with me had told me about it and we decided to go for it. Unfortunately she had to rush to Vizag for her office work and she couldn't participate. This time my saviour was my petite and ever-ready kid sister, Shreya.


I wouldn't have gone alone for this Run in any case as you all know by now that I do not enjoy being solo anywhere. Shreya reminded me almost every day to register and I was not sure if I was going to do it. Thankfully, things fell in place and I was free to go for the Run. It was on 6th March at the Embassy Golf Links campus in the area called Domlur. This campus has many IT companies and has a nice walking/jogging area inside.

We reached there by 6 am and people had already gathered there. As it was not a "Women" Run only, there were many men who had come to run and support their respective wives, daughters, colleagues. We felt really good and proud of them. The warming-up was done in Bhangra (famous folk-dance of North India) style and the atmosphere started building for the event. The founder of Contours came up on the dais and wished us a happy Women's Day and she herself was going to participate in the Run.

The Run began at around 6:40 am and I told Shreya to meet at the same place after the run where we had deposited our luggage. She weighs half of what I do. So, I was sure that she would finish the Run in no time. But she was not sure if she could do it as it was her first time and her stamina is not that great. As the Run started everybody got into it. There were cheers, whistles, claps everywhere. Water and snack booths were kept at every 1 km. I ran the first 1 km without a break. That was an achievement for me. Slowly and steadily I completed two loops of 2.5 kms as the track inside was not big enough. I had targeted less time than my first Pinkathon Run, but finished the Run in almost the same time, 50 minutes. I hadn't practised well this time, but I was able to run better than the last time, obviously as this was the 2nd Run.

I met Shreya at the point we had decided and she completed it in 30 minutes! What a great start! I congratulated her and we clicked a lot of pics in different poses, also clicked for others. It was a great moment. We were the Finishers, the achievers. Though the event was not timed, every person who participated and completed it was a Winner. They braved the Bangalore cool morning breeze and came out to run for themselves, their family, friends and colleagues. Small kids were also running with their mothers. I will take T once he is big enough to understand and run that long.

There were a few performances after the 5k and we cheered and hooted for the people who performed on the stage and then with a feeling that a morning was well spent, we headed to meet my blogger friend cum ex-colleague cum my mentor in field of blogging for breakfast.

Post on our meet is the next thing ;)


1 comment:

  1. Kudos to you and Shreya for having completed the run. Hope there are more such events to attend and hope to join you for a run as well!

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...