07 December 2018

The Bread Story

I had written about the "Indische Nudeln" (Sevai Upma) when T started school. It was about how happy he was with the arrangement about taking bread in his box twice a week in the Kindergarten and on other three days, he would take Indian breakfast. We also adopted this in his school from September this year. All was going well until 3 weeks back. He suddenly started bringing back the Indian breakfast without finishing it. And when I asked him why he didn't finish it, he gave me the same answer that he wasn't hungry every single time he brought it back!

I dug deep into this matter and realized that whenever he takes bread, he doesn't bring a single morsel back. He eats it up all, but when I give him Indian snacks, he claims that he isn't hungry or just has a few bites and brings back most of the stuff. I asked him what exactly is the problem and he told me that all his friends bring bread every single day and he is mocked upon when he opens his tiffin. He has to eat colorful stuff with spoon and he started disliking it and stopped opening his box in front of the others. Whenever there was bread, he ate it with pride. It was easy for him to pick it up with bare hands and finish it. He probably felt ashamed about his Indian food. I tried my best to convince him that Indian food is one of the best and nutritious foods, but at his age, it was difficult for him to accept and understand that. I had no choice then. I had to make him eat and if it was going to be bread, I had to teach myself different ways of making a sandwich. 

Bread is available in abundance in Germany. There are 100 types of breads. So one thing I was assured of the fact that not every bread will be made of maida here. There are many other healthy flours from which the bread is made and there are healthy and nutritious breads made with nuts, sesame, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, carrots etc. I also can occasionally bake a simple bread at home.

T usually loves a sandwich with butter, cheese and pork/chicken/turkey slices. He and his dad eat everything except the holy cow. I am not a fan of non-veg food. I don't eat it or cook it. I am also aware of the conditions in which these poor animals are kept and slaughtered and I also know how "nutritious" can a cheap pack of pork slices be. But I had to give him food he likes so that he eats it, but not every single day. I then happened to meet my good friend, Anu after a long time and asked her for ideas. She had told me her experience of how her son had come to believe that Indian food is not good to take to school. He also had problems at school. The German kids have obviously no exposure to the Indian food and spices and flavors. So anything that is not typical what they have been eating all these years is frowned upon. It is natural and the kids can't really be blamed for that. So as Anu had been through this phase, she readily and happily gave me a few ideas with boiled potato, peanut butter, mustard sauce or just with plain sliced onions and ajwain (bishop's weed) or even with minced paneer along with onions, chilli powder, tomato bits etc, it's going to be so yummy!! I should also try to make a sandwich with boiled egg slices, cheese and pepper or sometimes with honey or nutella. She also recommended me to buy a sandwich maker which will be very handy. I am thinking about it and may buy it during the Christmas sales!

The home-cooked veg. food eater in me doesn't really approve this but as the saying "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" goes, I have to give in to T's demands as a growing kid and give him food which he will like and enjoy eating. That will contribute to his growth well. If I force him to eat what he really doesn't want to, it may not contribute to his growth. We usually have home cooked dinner and the lunch which he gets at school is also prepared fresh.

I have no idea if T will ever stop eating animals. He is in a country where the animals are rich delicacies and are eaten on regular basis every day in almost all households. He also has his dad as a role model who loves pork and fish and chicken. So I really don't have much influence on them both in this matter. But one day, I hope, that day dawns when both of them have a realization and they stop consuming it altogether.

Amen!


2 comments:

  1. Two things come out so glaringly in this post- the effect of peer pressure and the exploration of alternatives. On peer pressure I would say it is sad that the school is not taking steps to teach kids be appreciative of different cultures. I am sure all the kids will grow up appreciate other cuisine and T will eventually eat Indian tiffins with pride in front of all. I wish the period of "peer pressure" was not there.
    On the former, kudos to you for making an effort to make Tanay's lunch healthier and green as ever while not keeping the Indian dishes away from it. Your journey of creating newer recipes is certainly going to be an interesting one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great write up M. I guess the issue with the acceptance of Indian food maybe because of the lack of diversity (Asian influence?) in the class. I am not too sure if this is a fact. Anyways, I’m sure this is a phase and this too shall pass. Between, hundreds of varieties of breads sounds exciting!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...