12 May 2011

Showers of rain

Today it rained like crazy in many parts of Bangalore.

These were the pre-monsoon showers, I suppose. Bangalore gets rain for almost 8 months in a year and the weather is cool for most of the months. And today it seemed as if it the rain would never stop. We were in the canteen of our office and the canteen is on the last floor. It has an enormous hood, covering the entire floor to protect the people from rain and the sun. The rains were so heavy that we weren't able to hear each other's voices. We just sat there sipping tea and I became nostalgic.

Rains remind me of those days, when I was studying in college. Degree college got over by 12 pm and then I came home, studied, watched TV and did whatever I liked. Whenever it started raining, I sat on the sofa in my living room and watched the rains from the grills of the window. My aaji gave me hot tea and kanda bhaji (onion rings) and I talked to her about her childhood days and rainy seasons she saw and experienced. As a child, monsoon meant new monsoon footwear, new raincoat, new waterproof bag and waterproof watch. It had a typical smell which I still remember. Also when it rained heavily, school and college were off and a day was spent at home, eating and lazing and sleeping and watching TV. Mumbai used to become cool for those number of hours till it rained heavily. How I miss those days now!!!

I am a music lover and that mood of rains also tempted me to listen to Gulzar, Asha, R. D Burman and Kishore Kumar. The evergreen song "rimjhim gire saawan" is my favorite song depicting this mood. Kishore Kumar, the versatile singer, has given full justice to the rainy atmosphere and the entire song carries that mood well. Now in Bangalore, away from my aaji, I make tea for myself and sit in the balcony sit out watching the raindrops falling on the window panes. I love the smell of the mud, when the first showers of rain kiss the earth. Entire atmosphere suddenly changes and looks so fresh and lively. The green trees sway to the winds and talk to the rains as if two long lost friends are meeting. Especially in the woods, the smell of the leaves and mud makes me forget everything else.

I am sure, other people, who are not so great fans of rainy season, think of the traffic jams it causes and Mumbaikars are fearful of rains because the life line of Mumbai, the train system goes for a toss and they become stranded. It is also true that due to the global warming, the seasons have chnaged drastically and it rains anytime anywhere. The charm of waiting eagerly for monsoons and getting wet unawares, enjoying the thunderstorm is somewhere lost, I feel..

What do the first showers of rain remind you?

Which is your favorite song for this lovely, romantic season?

P.S: The link on youtube for my favorite song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VzUxxa0c2I

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mala paus vishesh awdat nahi pan gani ani kanda bhaji solid awadtat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. rimjhim gire sawan, sulag sulag jaye man....bheege aaj iss mausam mein lago kaisi ye agan....

    sawan barsw tarse dil...kyun na nikle gharse fir...

    ahaha...rimjhim rimjhim.....rumjhum rumjhum....

    lagi aaj sawan ki fir wo lagi hai...

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...