01 May 2011

Fiasco

My brother-in-law moved to the UK a few weeks back and it was his birthday on 19th April.

Birthdays for me are celebration times, if they are of my close friends or family and no matter how far I am from them physically, I make it a point to make their day more special on that particular day by sending them greeting cards or book marks or hand made candles or by just sending them mails with personal message.

But as my bil was away in the UK, I couldn't send anything of my trademark gifts and I sought the help of my school friend, Deven, who is settled in UK since past 6 years now. I wanted to gift my bil flowers, but when I had a look at some sites, I found the prices to be unnecessarily exorbitant and so dropped the idea. Deven suggested I gift him chocolates or any other gift which could reach him easily without any hassles. So, I zeroed upon a nice chocolate box from the link, Deven had suggested me and he very promptly took it ahead. He placed the order, wrote the message given by me, made the payment and we both were happy that the chocolates would reach my bil and it would be a nice surprise to him and he would be happy that his family at least thought of him on that day, though we all were away from him.

But to my and Deven's dismay, the chocolate box reached my bil's office, but didn't reach him. Deven called a few times to check the status and he got to know that the box is delivered to the address mentioned in the order. We then found out from my bil, that due to certain regulations in the office no personal things were accepted there. Neither me, nor Deven had the slightest clue that something like this would happen. I had expected it to be smooth like in India, where any package reaches to the recepient without fail. And for God's sake, I hadn't sent anything unconventional or dangerous. It was just a box of chocolates, which had a lot of good wishes and blessings. But then rules are rules, aren't they?

Deven and I were very sad on knowing this, but nothing much could be done about that too. My bil had said that he will try to talk to his managers when Deven had called him up to check the status. But then my bil neither got back to me or Deven to let us know what happened to that box.

Sometimes, good things done with a good heart do not reach the other person. Reasons? Unknown. But then I am at least happy that I tried and I thank Deven for helping me out with it even though we got in touch after so many years, after school.

My mom always says good deeds done with good heart return to you from some other people and in some other form and I believe that too. I will do what is possible for me to do easily and I am sure all the help and love which I get in some form or the other is a return gift to me :-)

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. It was nice of you to take an effort to send gift to your bil... that itself would have made him so happy... and yeah sometimes security and ethical policies that make no sense come in between plans and play spoilsport... that's sad, but as you said rules and rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. talk abt security, policies n regulations i guess AUS is the worst country in the world. U cant send anything here from anywhere which would reach the recipient either late or dont reach at all or the packed would be opened n resealed for quarantine purposes n wht not....name the excuse n its here.....the quarantine rules r worst nightmares....so much nautanki just to prove tht they r "different"

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries Mrunalini :). It would had been great if he had received it but the main thing over here is the thought of sending a gift, which was delivered :).

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...