15 May 2011

Becoming independent - By learning to drive

6th May was a birthday of my close friend, Sudhir. He and his wife invited me and Koustubh for dinner at a nice restaurant near my office.

Sudhir, Koustubh and I are friends from the time we all started first in HP. We have still kept in touch after we moved out from HP. We meet on birthdays, anniversaries or just like that for tea or dinner.

Sudhir and his wife picked me up in their I 20 car and Shubhangi, his wife was driving the car. She looked so cool and confident and very much in control. Sudhir was sitting next to her and giving her directions. He hasn't yet learned to drive. In fact all of us have not learnt driving till now because we travel regularly in office shuttles and do not want to take the risk and tension driving our ways in the Bangalore traffic. Shubhangi is from Pune and driving comes inherently to Punekars because driving is as important as breathing there :-) Koustubh and I are from Mumbai and hence always travelled by trains to colleges and never thought of learning driving when we were in Mumbai.

We are almost for 6 years in Bangalore and my husband, Atul drives a Wagon R since past 5 years that we are married. But, I never dared to learn it and regret it a lot now. Soon, I will be moving to a new house, where there is nothing in the vicinity unless you walk for a kilometer or so. I will be so helpless without being able to drive a car or a two wheeler. I have to walk or look for an auto and then convince the arrogant auto drivers that I need to reach a particular place and if my stars are bright, they might agree and if they don't? I am stranded.

Now that the car will be standing in the parking lot for almost 2 months, waiting for someone to drive it, I have made up my mind to utilize this time and make the most of it. I will be able to go wherever I like, to concerts, to meet friends, to see movies, do shopping, for language classes, practically anywhere I want to. I will not be dependent on the autos and thw buses and the weather. A new sense of independence will make me so happy, the very thought of it is so endearing. My friend, Teju encouraged me a lot on the way back home the other day and I have decided to let go of my fear and take charge of my life. Teju and I have so many things to do, we have just planned all these years and now I decide to put those plans into reality. The ability to drive will give me a new confidence and give me a lot of mobility. I will not become a pro in 2 months, but then there is a great scope of learning every day, isn't it? My dad will guide me in that.

So people, wish me luck and I will soon write about my first experience of driving indepently on this blog.

6 comments:

  1. All the best with the driving classes.
    I have been thinking of going for the same and buying myself a small car someday. But then this thought has always been a thought.
    But now I am inspired to plan for driving classes too :-) Thanks for the inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best luck Mrunalini. I am yet to pass my driving test in UK :). Will have to get it sorted soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the Best dear :-) Finally you made up your mind... Will soon sit beside you & enjoy the ride in your car (~_~) Chak De !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't try out learning directly on our car! You should enrol to a good driving school and learn there first. Remember the driving school cars will have two controls for gear and brake. Your father won't be able to help you in driving since our car has got only one control! And have your learning license in first place before you try out anything :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahha all the very best...i ll talk abt ur post later... firstly....just the thought of u driving ur car made atul write something here, good....i liked it :)

    driving shik pan keep the practice....i know driving but i dont drive....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ekada himat kelis ki aapaaap changli chalavata yeil.

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...