09 March 2018

Frauenchor

I came to Germany in November, during the fall and almost when the season was getting grey and cold. In a new place, in a new city, in a new neighborhood, I was not sure how I was going to survive. But thankfully things fell in place and my son got admission in the Kindergarten immediately. I was relieved because he would be busy and not get bored at home. He would start school only in September 2018. In his Kindergarten, I happened to come across this monthly newspaper called 'Karlsruher Kind' (The Karlsruhe child) which has different events and activities and places, flea markets for kids and parents listed out for that particular month in Karlsruhe and the surrounding areas. This was where I first saw the advertisement of Private Music School Wasmer (Music School Wasmer). And the music lover in me immediately leapt in joy!
What particularly caught my interest was the fact that there was a singing class for ladies and in the evenings! The group in which I was interested is called 'Frauenchor' (Ladies choir) where women sing in 2-3 different scales. Check out : Different Voice types in Western Classical Music. They met twice a week on Thursdays at 8 pm and that time was perfect for me to finish my daily chores and dinner and head for the class. I wrote to the owner of the school and she immediately forwarded it to the in-charge of the Choir, Ms. Kim. She was excited to have me as a part of the Choir and she invited me to sing along with others.

I went for the first time on 7th December with little skepticism as I had no background in Western music. I have never attended any concert or an opera or a musical. But I fancy Western music and am aware of their style. Kim is an astounding lady, very charming, ever smiling and accomodating. She created a very positive impression on me. She is very passionate about music and she plays piano so well. She herself is a great singer and into this music faculty since almost 18 years now. She told me to shed inhibitions of any kind if I had any and just sing along with others. The other ladies are also very co-operative and friendly and I am the youngest in the group, I suppose!

It was around Christmas time that I started with the Choir group. The group was singing Christmas Carols then. It was my first time to sing Christmas Carol. Kim told us all to imagine ourselves in a place where we will be at complete peace, some place where you want to linger on for some time before getting back into the routine. Mind filled with tranquility and satisfaction creates a similar mood and then improves the projection of song and the rendition matches the required mood of the song. This was new to me! I was awestruck. Can music also be interpreted this way? Can your state of mind, good or bad affect what and how you sing!!? It gave me goosebumps. I was trained into Hindustani Classical vocal music, but never ever I was introduced to thought process like this. I do not know whether I was in sync with others on my first day, but that definitely opened up my mind and I became comfortable with the style.

I couldn't sleep after I came back home. It was an after-effect of a wonderful hour of singing, I guess. I was still lingering at that place in my mind where I was at complete peace. There was a pin drop silence, the moon was shining bright and the trees around me glistened in the moonlight. There was little snow around and how nice it felt! How tranquil and how fulfilling! It was a state just like meditation. I wish I get to visit that place more often, retrospect and bring out the optimum emotions required for singing in the Choir.

I enjoy every single session and look forward to every fortnightly Thursday. It's my 'me time', it's my time to relax and enjoy and sing and be happy!


2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written Mrunalini.

    ReplyDelete
  2. U know wen an experiment becomes ur passion nothing can compare the happiness ..its eternal

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...