12 March 2018

A walk in the woods

The weather is getting better..
The temperatures are in single and sometimes double digits (in plus)...
The Sun God makes it a point to give his Darshan for longer hours now...
So what better time than now to get back to my favorite activity of walking!

It's almost 3 months that I have taken break from walking, my favorite activity, which I regularly carried out in Bangalore. No matter what, I always went for a walk five times a week. I also encouraged my friends and took them along. I also organized Walks and Marathons in my apartment complex. I was missing all that here and today, I decided to restart and just went to a nearby area after leaving my son to the daycare.

There were trees on both sides, they will bloom now and look lovely soon! A road led inside which was used by the cyclists and joggers, walkers like me. It was dark and rainy, but the birds were their usual chirpy self. I started walking taking note of the different trees and the birds. Cool wind was blowing, some raindrops here and there. There were people going to work on their cycles. Along with the trees and birds, I saw quite a few clubs inside dedicated for different sports. No one could tell that there was human touch and human movement inside this dense looking forest.

I felt extremely energetic and happy. Walking or any physical activity for that matter releases a range of feel-good hormones and keeps you fresh and stress-free Read more about it here. The fresh cool air gave me a new motivation which was lacking all this time. I decided to continue with my walks now till October/November when Winter sets in again! I took inspiration from my friend, Anagha who is in Stuttgart and is preparing for the Stuttgart Lauf in June. She has already started practicing running a month ago. And all this while she kept updating me and asking me if I started with it too! Dear Anagha, I am back to my schedule now and I felt extremely satisfied with myself. I did not jog today, but will start slowly.

Connecting to nature freshened my mood and lifted my spirits. A good start in the week, I must say! I am not a gym person, who loves sweating it out with instruments doing different forms of exercises. I am rather a nature person who can walk miles and miles with favorite people or even alone with my favorite tracks on mobile. And what a surprise, I got to know about an event Badische Meile on 6th May for which I plan to go along with one of my friends. They have running, walking and Nordic walking. A day prior they have events for small kids, school kids and families! I will try to rope in other friends and acquaintances in Karlsruhe, try to go walking with them, practice with them and encourage them! The more the merrier!

After all I can't keep quiet, can I?


No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...