05 February 2018

Nindiya aaja re aaja

Have you ever stayed up at 12 am in the night when the whole world around you has already taken a flight to the land of dreams and you are wondering when will the brain finally give a signal to the eyes to get tired and doze off and you will also finally enter your land of dreams? Others around you are snoring happily though they have woke up late in the morning and have also taken an afternoon siesta. You haven't committed any of such crimes and yet you fail to get sleep? Has this happened to you anytime? Do you feel my pain, do you understand what I am trying to say?

I am a very light sleeper. The slightest sound or light wakes me up. My husband's snoring wakes me up. My son's blabbering in sleep wakes me up. And then once I wake up, I can't sleep for a long time. I count the hours and minutes and sometime after two hours or so, I go to sleep only to wake up again by the alarm clock at 6 am. This has been my problem since early days. I need time to get adjusted to a new place and a new surrounding and a new bed. After 2-3 weeks, I sleep comfortably in that setting. But if I visit someone over the weekend or go to my mom's place also, I am not able to sleep for first few days.

My mom's place is bang on the main road in a central suburb of Mumbai. So right from the first local train at wee hours till the last train at midnight, the road is always busy. Autorickshaw, dogs and pedestrians add to the glory of that ever noisy and busy road. I wonder how I slept there for 23 years of my life. I can't sleep peacefully anymore. After a good 2 weeks or so, when I get comfortable, it's time to leave. When I am back to my own place, I  need time to get adjusted to sleep again! I sometimes wonder what is wrong with me? Why am I like this?

Everyone in my family, my parents, even when my grandparents were alive, were blessed with super sleep. My grandma slept for 6-7 hrs daily till her death. My husband's family is also blessed. They can sleep anywhere and at any time. Be it broad daylight or light music being played around or trumpets being played loudly, once they hit the bed, they snooze and go off to sleep. I envy such people. They are truly blessed. Perhaps such people are tension free and live life wholeheartedly. They get tired and the reward is sleep.

No money, no tablets can ever buy good sound sleep. Sleep is so important for the body to repair and heal itself. Though we are physically closing our eyes, the process inside our body doesn't stop. It goes on and on and when we wake up in the morning, we are all fresh and ready for another day and another challenge. Sleep is like an eraser of all what you did today and a signal to start a new tomorrow. It's a bridge between what has passed and what is going to come. Many of us dream once we are asleep and we see so many colors in dreams. Dreams are seldom black or grey. Dreams show us things and help us experience what we perhaps are not able to see and experience with eyes wide open. Sleep is our saviour and our rejuvenator.

With this, I hope to go to sleep today before my husband starts snoring or else I will again have to sing the song...

Nindiya aaja re aaja..

No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...