22 February 2018

My social life in India

The person who is responsible in getting me back to writing is a lady, I will call her A here whom I met online in Germany. I happened to ping her on a common WhatsApp group of Indian ladies in my city and then began a very interesting exchange of topics on life in general. We haven't met yet, we haven't spoken on phone, except once. But we talk almost daily on mails and yesterday evening she asked me to write about the social life back in India. She has been in Germany for many years and she was curious to know how I spent my time there. So A, here's a post dedicated to you. Hope you like it.
For a good two and half years before shifting to Germany, I was working from home full time as a translator with a German company. I was one of the few lucky working mothers, who had this privilege. I could earn and also take care of my health and hobbies. Once my son left for school at 7 am, I went for my morning walk. A good 5 kms in the wonderful campus of my apartment with a few walking friends was good enough to charge us up for the rest of the day. After coming back, I started my work on the laptop. And then my maid and cook would come by 10, 10:30 am. Everyday they had something to tell me, as women, we all shared something common. They were with me since the time I shifted to my own home. I saw messages almost every day in the ladies group about maid and cook. But thankfully, they both didn't leave me and I didn't leave them too. We had mutual respect for each other and I am not very fussy and strict when it comes to work. I accept and understand that there can be slips as human beings. So we continued very well till I left.

I always played music while working. I want some noise, some sound around me when I am alone. I can't bear extreme silences. There are two empty plots facing my block and it is very quiet and breezy most of the days. Felt good sitting and working there in the hall with occasional glimpses of tall trees and birds. Time passed quickly while working and then the most exciting part of the day started once my son was home. Listening to his stories and making him ready for the evening to play outside was a daily chore that I enjoyed the most. He literally hurried out when the clock struck 6. I had to run behind him to see if he has properly reached the place where all the moms of his friends sat and talked.

This was our time. 6 pm to 7 pm. Kids playing and the moms discussing their day, worries, tensions, happiness, milestones etc. I have a core group of 3 friends (Sonali, Madhuri and Snehal) and I completely doten on them. Our kids are more or less of same age. We have been together since 2012. We celebrated each other's kids' birthdays, festivals, kitty parties etc together. We took kids to movies (We saw Cars 3 together). We met up for lunch sometimes and ordered food from outside. Snehal has moved out from our apartment, but her heart is still stuck with us and our kids. We took kids to play area and then for lunch. Our lives more or less revolved around kids and their schedules. We kept each other abreast of everything that was happening in our lives. We shared everything. We were very important part of each other's life. Our parents were also very warm and cordial with each other. We laughed together, we bought dresses and jewellery together, we went grocery shopping together.

Being a very health conscious person, I also organized walks and Marathons for ladies in my apartment. My friends helped me and participated with full energy and vigor. Madhuri, Snehal and I have also done many Marathons together in Bangalore. I also organized small talks about Millets and tried to create awareness about them. I also tried to motivate them to exercise regularly (walk, gym, anything which keeps them moving) and Intermittent Fasting (more about this in the coming posts). We partied together on our birthdays, without kids and without husbands. It was such a nice time together. We laughed so much, we talked so much and yes of course ate a lot!

When I was about to leave, Snehal and her son had come to see us off. We chatted for some time and when it was time for her to leave, Snehal couldn't control her tears and seeing her, I couldn't hold back my hears either. Sonali joined us too. We all cried with each other, trying to console each other. Kids were really not sure what was happening. We knew very well the turmoil going on in our hearts. It was like separating a tree from it's shadow. I felt like I am leaving something very precious behind and I was not sure how I was going to stay without these soul-mates of mine. We were each other's punch bags. We were each other's shoulder to cry on, to lean on. And suddenly all this was going to change.

My social life was not going to be the same without them in a distant country and I was also sure that their life would be very different without me. I wish all women have such a great friends and anchors in life like I have and I look forward to meeting my friends and enjoying together whenever I visit India!

Miss you dearies!


2 comments:

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...