14 February 2018

Muffinton

I met her in the year 2012 on a cold January afternoon in Bangalore when she rang my doorbell. Her comb had fallen in my balcony and she had to come to take it from me. I realized only then that she stayed in the flat, one floor above me. I exchanged pleasantries and after talking for a few minutes, it struck me that she was also pregnant! Just like me!

That commonality struck a chord in us both and from that day onwards, Sonali became an indispensable part of my life. Her due date was on 7th April and mine was 16th April. She delivered a baby girl on 29th March and I delivered a baby boy on 7th April. From the time, we met and started interacting, I felt as if I met a long lost friend with whom I can share everything. She always smiled, no matter how her mood was or how she was feeling. She was always happy and cheerful. After the delivery, we had our own tales of the first three months and in that too we were with each other. As kids grew, we took them out in prams and shared our experiences when we met in the evenings. Our kids had become best friends, before they even took birth I think. And the bond which I and Sonali shared will be continued ahead with Zara and Tanay.

We helped each other with diapers, milk bottle cleaning dispensers, milk powders, baby tissues and what not. We also bought clothes for the kids together. We bought same dresses, same jewellery! She was a wonderful cook and anything she made was very tasty. The simplest dal would taste out of the world when she made it. She had baking business before her daughter arrived and slowly she got back to it when she got more time. I often asked her for tips, which she readily gave without hesitation, but I could never make a single dish like her and she always kept on encouraging me to try something or the other. Finally, I realized that it is not my forte and not what I enjoy the most. I can cook bare minimum for sustenance and I am happy with it.

I never saw tears in her eyes even when she faced the toughest times during past 6 years. She was always strong and I admired her for that. But when it was just a month for me to leave Bangalore and come to Germany, I often saw her teary eyed. She never told me why she was crying, because I knew. My son was the greatest connoisseur of non-veg food that she prepared and she loved feeding him. He ate without fuss and enjoyed eating every bite. She would definitely miss him and it was very obvious from the way she called him more often for lunch and dinner that following month.

She made lot of dishes for me and my favorite muffins of different types during the last 2-3 months. On the day I left, I didn't go upstairs to say bye to her! Because I knew very well, we both would end up crying and our kids and husbands would be laughing at us (silently!) thinking what is wrong with these girls!? I said bye to her on Whatsapp and she understood. I will miss her and dear Zara for sure and I know I will be missed too. We will be with each other on important occasions via Skype and Whatsapp and will see our kids grow up together, though in different continents.

My joy knew no bounds when she told me about the launch of her website, www.muffinton.com. She would now be a professional baker once again and would take orders on regular basis. She did catering on a small scale, but with the launch of this website it would mean bigger customer base and bigger responsibility. I was happy with her new venture, but also a bit sad that I can't experience it live. I wanted to see that spark in her eyes when she talked about her orders and customers and new flavors and workshops. Nonetheless, I will keep on pestering her with details about it whenever I can.

On this special day, where people express love to their loved ones, I would like to tell you Sonali that I love you very much. You hold a special place in my heart, no matter where I am, you shall continue to be my bestest friend. And also that you and Zara will be one of the reason for me to return to India, to Bangalore. I wish you lots of luck and success with Muffinton and I will be there in December for a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...