15 June 2011

Driving - a milestone achieved!

My dad had been after me since I was in college to learn 4 wheeler driving. Atul would have loved it if I had learnt driving earlier.  I know I waited for almost 5 years to begin with this, but then there is no age limit for learning any new skill, isn't it?

The necessity of being able to drive and the availability of the car gave an impetus to this resolve of mine. I will be soon shifting to my own house, which is far off from everything and to get things, I have to either walk or take help of the auto, none of the options is always feasible. So, I decided to finally start somewhere with the long postponed driving lessons. I can also drive to my office or to my friends and enjoy all that I have been missing all these years

I enrolled for the driving classes on the day I landed in my home town, Dombivli and on the first day, I had butterflies in my stomach. First lesson was only theory. The teacher explained me the basics and parts in the car etc. , which I very well knew as I have watched Atul drive for 5 years now. But then sitting there as a student made a lot of difference and on day 2, I was out in the traffic of Dombivli, driving, under the instruction of the teacher. Oh wow! What a feeling it was! Sitting behind the wheels and driving a 4 wheeler looked so majestic to me, I am sure it must have looked wow to others as well, ha ha. The teacher held the wheel for first 3 days and then from 4th day, I was on my own managing the wheel and the accelerator. He gave me lot of tips and I asked him lot of questions too. In all I gained a lot of confidence and feel comfortable now to drive my own car when I get to Bangalore.

I had done a driving course in Bangalore too, that was 4 years back, but never had this confidence in myself. Why is it so different today? Is it because of the age factor? or because the need to drive and be independent is above everything else? The roads in Dombivli are crowded, full of potholes and still I managed to start the driving experience decently. When I get on to Bangalore roads, without the instructor, but with my dad, besides me, it is going to be another experience alltogether.

I have been troubling my dad with different queries now. I see the cars moving on the roads and think, what exactly is going on in the person's mind on the driver's seat? My vision is completely changed now. My thoughts and mind are occupied by just driving now. I imagine the roads on which I will be mostly driving. I imagine the road to Mysore or to my office and imagine myself sitting cooly and driving confidently. I have promised Teju to take her, Yeshu and her mom to places where we have been wanting to go all these years. I will take my buddies Sudhir and Koustubh to a long drive. Atul would be the happiest person now as he would now be able to sit next to the driver's seat, which was his long time dream. As soon as I arrive in Bangalore on Saturday, I will drive down to my new house on Sunday as I have to get some things fixed there. Dad wants me only to drive till there and I am all set.

Bengaluru here I come...........

1 comment:

  1. Gr8 going girly :)I told mom that wt all plans we have.. She was so happy & wants me also to learn driving :-)hehehe!!! Waiting to meet u soon in blore...

    ReplyDelete

The dilemma

My mother-in-law left for Pune today after spending two and a half months with us in Germany. And suddenly the house seems empty without her...